Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Underside of chassis covered with Tr. oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 AM
Beginning Member
PtownBubba is on a distinguished road

How is this for the ultimate Rube Goldberg / Shade Tree mechanic fix,,, remove the T-case fill plug, install a hose barb-n-hose, run hose to a frame mounted radiator overflow tank,,,,,check over flow tank every week,, when full, put fluid back into Trans.
Or better yet, a windshield washer tank,,, when full hit a button,,, skirt fluid back into trans.

Will check the numbers posted here,,,, and probably get the seals,,, might as well replace the vacuum valve again while under the vehicle,,, hopefully the week old actuator under battery is still dry,,,,,,

Old 02-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
The input shaft seal on the transfer case has failed. Timken seal # TMS 3173. Transfer case to adapter gasket fel pro # FEL 72769.
The Felpro gasket is easy to find,,, cannot find a TMS 3173 seal,,, can find a TM 3173, and a 3173,,,, but no TMS 3173,,, is the TM the same as a TMS ?

Is there a good chance a bearing is also bad,,,,, that caused the seal to fail ?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I believe the seals are the same. The letters are the manufacturer. I just copied the numbers off last fall's receipt from my local parts store. Double check for your application. The bearing is probably fine.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

ordered a 3173 seal, and the 72769 gasket, 28 bucks or so ,,
Is there room to remove the transfer case , and leave transmixer in vehicle?

Old 02-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

If the transmixer is a transmission, then yes. Unbolt the transfer case from the adapter. I had to remove the transmission mount to get the bottom bolt.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member

thanks, Rusty,, I saw a video where a guy supported the transmixer with a block to support it while removing the cross arm the transfer case,,,, not a lot of you-tubes for a s10 Blazer transfer case removal,, but will take a break,, then tear into this Blazer,,, have my other son's Ranger in my garage now anyway,,,waiting for parts for both, so good time for a nap,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member

So,, we got the seal and gasket replaced,,,,,,,,,,,, the new seal was not exactly like the old one, but it fit,,, things just did not seem all correct,,,, since the gasket, went between the transfer case and the spacer housing [ for lack of a better term] we assumed the seal went on the shaft of the transfer case,,, the seal looked like it is made to keep oil 'in' the transfer case, instead of keeping fluid from entering ,,,,, [ by looking at the lip ] the spacer housing had a little fluid in it, but not much,,,, ???? If the transmission was leaking oil into the transfer case,,,, wouldn't that spacer housing also be full of fluid,,, ????? And should the seal also be replaced on transmission,, in front of the housing spacer ???? Back together now,,, will see what happens,,,??????????

Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 PM
slimsummers is on a distinguished road

The adapter housing between the trans and TFC is open to the trans, when running ATF squirts out the rear bearing in the case and splashes through there. When not running, it mostly drains back into the pan. There is no seal on the trans output shaft on the 4X4 700R4/4L60E transmissions.

The TFC input bearings rarely go out, the seals fail due to the rubber hardening and cracking. The seals we use have double lips, each one has the garter spring facing outward. Dunno the number, they fit most TFC input shafts. We get them from our parts supplier, Transtar.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member

ok, I follow what you are saying,,, this is the seal and gasket we got,,, seal # 3173. Transfer case to adapter gasket fel pro # FEL 72769, like I said, it did not look like a double seal,,, so,, maybe it will fail very soon, or not fail, but just will not keep oil from leeching into transfer case,,,,, This Blazer also has HVA issues, as the selector does not change output,,, the under dash diaphragm seems to move to the limits,,, so do not think leaking oil is a factor with that,,, but I have read that leaking oil, then being sucked through vacuum switch can booger up the HVA system,,, next time we will retire the vacuum front axle engage, and replace it with a $25 hand-pull-locking cable from NAPA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, since the 4wd has little use anyway.