Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

When the surface of the road is covered

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road
Default When the surface of the road is covered

What is as good as offroading without leaving the road? Driving in the snow!

I became rather acquainted with the Blazer's ability in the snow (and I was NOT disappointed) yesterday when I had a family emergency just as the roads were getting bad. I had to be driving around on untreated roads for two hours.
All I really had to do was keep the speed low and keep it in 2nd or 1st and I didn't even have as much as a close call. I can't tell you how many accidents I rode by, the park&ride was full of wrecked cars that were left there until the roads got clear (no Blazers!!!). There was at least an inch on the highways, and several inches on the back roads -- after traffic was on them. I was astonished how well the Blazer performed in the snow. Now since I have only ever driven two different cars in the snow, one was a Cavalier... my opinion is probably invalid.
What I want to know is how y'all think the Blazer stacks up against other cars in the snow. (for the record, I have Michelin LT-X's that are in good shape -- please tell us the condition of the tires you had as that plays quite a role.)

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in snow most my life. Seen numerous vehicles in the ditch. 4x4 has the advantage, provided you realize that 4x4 doesn't mean you can stop any faster.

Short video of my truck in 8+ inches of fresh snow in a field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6urte0ooRg

I have also used my truck to pull numerous stuck vehicles out of hte ditch, and in some cases pushed them out of the ditch. I prefer BFG All-Terrains. MY '93 has the Michelins XTL and they ok, Ive had Cooper STT and they do OK too. For a good all terrain tire in all driving conditions I prefer the BFG's.

Last edited by Hanr3; 01-31-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

mine does good in the snow especially in 4wd...

Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

we got about 8 to 9 inches of snow in richmond va and i tell you, my jimmy handled it like it was another dry day of driven. granted i had it in 4wd on the road, but i put it in 2wd in the parking lot(that was fun). i'm running goodyear authority at tires and they are amazing in snow. they hardly spin(unless u want to play) and even if they do they will bite in a few turns. i think when it comes down to driving in the snow, its all about the tires and confidences in ones ability to drive in the snow. u also asked about how other cars compare, i've driven a 04 silverado crew cab 4x4 in the snow, it handled about the same, felt glued to the road just like my jimmy does.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

these things seem the love the snow. dunno why, but i can't complain when I'm home and warm as opposed to burning my spare in desperation

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member
BlackFireLS4.3 is on a distinguished road

I agree about the snow!

My truck is all stock and I did this yesterday with three tires in the snow:

Old 02-07-2010, 08:30 PM
1armyguy is on a distinguished road

I had a jeep liberty with Enduro AT's and it did a great job in the snow as well. I have had it in over a foot of snow and it would go. But, I had a locker in the rear as well and what a difference that makes but, that helps any 4 wheel drive. It was great even before I installed the locker.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
MrTwister is on a distinguished road

My rig is decent in the snow, usualy only have to put in 4hi if im out before the plows. For tiers I'm runing some crappy trailcutter MT remoulds, but they seem to bite the snow just fine. Worst vehicle I drove in winter was a POS 93 cravan that had some break issues. Press the pedal too hard and the rear passanger wheel would lock up sending the thing spining, was fun as hell in an empty lot...but on the highway it required a constant supply of clean underwear.