Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Warm Weather Finally....and something not right

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
choover82 is on a distinguished road
Default Warm Weather Finally....and something not right

I swear my blazer likes the cold weather more then the warmer weather. Problems started two days ago...when we had a nice 50* day, could go outside without a coat on.

I left the house to get into blazer and head to work. Started just fine. Shifted into drive, and it kinda lurched forward. I had been messing with the 4x4 trying to figure out what is, and what isnt working. Not sure if I pulled off a vacuum hose somewhere to the tranny or whatever. Anyways....RPMs go upto about 3k then shifts hard, that from 1st to 2nd. 2nd to 3rd does the same. WTH NOW! Make me what to drive it off a cliff.

If I give it hell, it still kinda shifts hard, but its not as noticable as feathering it.

Someone at Napa says my filter maybe be clogged or tranny is going out. I havent owned this thing long enough for this BS!

I did check fluid levels and levels are normal. No vacuum leaks on back of motor. Transmission doesnt make any clunking noises. Only leaks I have found are coming from the transfer case.

What yall think? Could it be the filter needing replaced or am i %&#$ed?

My speedo works when its really cold outside but when it warms up inside, off it goes.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member
Kyle Wood is on a distinguished road

Id try the filter to start off, I'm in the same boat as ya my truck loves cold weather, now that its like 60 today my service light comes on, I need to get the code read after work

Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by choover82
I swear my blazer likes the cold weather more then the warmer weather. Problems started two days ago...when we had a nice 50* day, could go outside without a coat on.

I left the house to get into blazer and head to work. Started just fine. Shifted into drive, and it kinda lurched forward. I had been messing with the 4x4 trying to figure out what is, and what isnt working. Not sure if I pulled off a vacuum hose somewhere to the tranny or whatever. Anyways....RPMs go upto about 3k then shifts hard, that from 1st to 2nd. 2nd to 3rd does the same. WTH NOW! Make me what to drive it off a cliff.

If I give it hell, it still kinda shifts hard, but its not as noticable as feathering it.

Someone at Napa says my filter maybe be clogged or tranny is going out. I havent owned this thing long enough for this BS!

I did check fluid levels and levels are normal. No vacuum leaks on back of motor. Transmission doesnt make any clunking noises. Only leaks I have found are coming from the transfer case.

What yall think? Could it be the filter needing replaced or am i %&#$ed?

My speedo works when its really cold outside but when it warms up inside, off it goes.
1. Shifting more or less classic for loss of modulation.. think it may be vac line

2. Speedo "off it goes' ?? Wild ? Or down to zero? DRac?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM

1. I havent found any vacuum leaks

2. Digital Gauges.

I did check my fluid color today....it needs changed...somewhat brown....so hoping it will be just the filter. Havent had truck long enough to know what has and hasnt been replaced.

1st to 2nd shifts about 2300 rpms, 2nd to 3rd shifts at about 2500 rpms...hard but smooth shifts...if that makes any sense.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Hmm i hate to ask the stupid question.. but could it be stuck in 4Lo?? Lurches forward when in drive... shifts hard... high RPM... hmmm lol. how fast are you going in 1st gear? Makes me wonder because you said you were messing with things by the tranny. i think you can manually shift the transfer case if you dont know what you are playing with down there

Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM

i probably did...when it was lurching forward, i could here a clank in the front axle. But its no longer doing that.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

ok so you dont have the shifting problem anymore? If you do i was going to say put it in 4lo with the button then back into 2WD with the button and it should go back. unless you have a bad encoder motor

Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 AM

encoder motor works....i think...cant tell what i shift into, but deff can hear it moving when I do push it. still shifts kinda hard but not as bad. will be changing tranny filter/fluid tomorrow depending on the weather. its needing changed asap anyways. also bought some lucas trans stuff to add in with new fluids.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 PM

well went to napa to buy a new belt. told dude i can smell burning rubber...and dude says prolly a pulley locked up and asked if its here...so i pop hood, vehicle still running...first thing he does is points at the idler pulley and his finger hits my fan...(lol, i know not that funny)...so i shut engine off. But sure enough, its locked tight! $70ish later, I have a new idler pulley and belt...more stuff to play with tomorrow when i do my tranny filter.

(and i have accidently put my thumb into a metal fan before...was lucky though, its still attached to my hand)

Decided to check out old belt...cracked to hell on the v grooves...and some grooves missing. Got the old pulley off and it was stiff...couldnt spin it. Tried to put new belt on...wow was that a fun time....good thing I had someone else here to pull on the tentioner...otherwise, id still be struggling with it...had to take fan off of water pump...but its back on and runs like it did before.

Will be fun when I decide to replace the thermostat...i see its under the intake.

Last edited by choover82; 02-04-2012 at 12:30 AM.