Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Weird oil dipstick reading

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Default Weird oil dipstick reading

Hey guys, well I wanted to check the oil level in my 1994 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3 Vortec engine. The dipstick reading is really weird. The level is a bit over the operating range mark, but there is a thin spot about an inch long in the middle. The other side without the markings has the oil level going up only about an inch. What do I go by? And on my last oil change, I poured in just over 3.5 quarts in (going by the dipstick), but the owners manual is saying that the crankcase capacity with the filter is 4.5. WTF?

Here's a picture of the dipstick, notice how it's thin in the center. I tried wiping it off and pulling it in and out at least 3 times, everything's the same.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Qumodo is on a distinguished road

i would go off of the lower oil line. most likely the upper line on the dipstick is from oil residue in the dipstick housing. this is just what i would do. hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Qumodo
i would go off of the lower oil line. most likely the upper line on the dipstick is from oil residue in the dipstick housing. this is just what i would do. hope this helps.
Hmm that sounds possible but the truck (safe to call it that? lol) has been sitting for about an hour before I went out to check it. Maybe I should let it sit longer then check?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the dipstick is dry between the two marks, then the lower mark is the actual oil level.

3.5qts is not enough oil for the 4.3L engine. 4.5-5 is the typical amount required.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If the dipstick is dry between the two marks, then the lower mark is the actual oil level.

3.5qts is not enough oil for the 4.3L engine. 4.5-5 is the typical amount required.
Ok thanks for letting me know. it's not dry in between em its just thin but I guess its the same thing.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is difficult to determine from the picture you posted.

Sometimes oil can splash up into the dip stick tube and cause a false level reading on the dipstick. This can happen long after you have shut off the vehicle, especially if it is cold out and the engine wasn't completely warmed up.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Starting Member

It is difficult to determine from the picture you posted.

Sometimes oil can splash up into the dip stick tube and cause a false level reading on the dipstick. This can happen long after you have shut off the vehicle, especially if it is cold out and the engine wasn't completely warmed up.
Well my engine was warmed up to normal operating temp then I parked it on a relatively level surface so I can check the dipstick, which I did an hour later. The engine was still kinda warm after that hour but it was cold out, like about 40 degrees.

But regardless you're saying I should add at least 1 more quart correct?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator

I would add 1 more quart and were the level is at.

Just to clarify, having the engine coolant up to temp and having the entire system up to temp are two very different things. It typically takes the engine oil much longer to warm up than it does the coolant inside the engine block. The same is true for the coolant in the radiator.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Starting Member

I would add 1 more quart and were the level is at.

Just to clarify, having the engine coolant up to temp and having the entire system up to temp are two very different things. It typically takes the engine oil much longer to warm up than it does the coolant inside the engine block. The same is true for the coolant in the radiator.
Oh ok I see what you mean. Yeah it was about a 10 minute ride prior to that so I suppose the engine wasn't totally warmed up. Thanks man!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Starting Member

Well i just poured in just a tad more than a quart of oil into my engine. I'll recheck the dipstick tomorrow. And slightly off-topic but anybody know the required amount of oil in a 1991 305 engine? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Weird oil dipstick reading