Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Welcome to the millionth "HELP ME!!!!" thread my engine is locked up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 PM
pendrin2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome to the millionth "HELP ME!!!!" thread my engine is locked up.

So here's the Skinny.

The engine went "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" for like.... a year and a half. Now, having the money to fix it, I pulled my engine and expected to replace my crankshaft. Riding a bearing knock for a year and a half tends to put one out of round you know? So I've got it down to the block. I got the new crankshaft. Installed the new #2 rod that I also happened to horribly screw up, and I'm putting everything back together. Here's where Tarantino walked in and made things messy.

I pulled all of the pistons to check for wear while I was down there and upon re-installation of piston #1 into cylinder #1, following torque spec mind you, I've managed to seize the the whole bastard with only one piston in. I know it's the right cap, I know it's the right piston, I know the piston is facing the right direction, I know that the piston moves freely on it's own, I know that the crankshaft turns freely on it's own, and I know that the reman crank came with .010 bearings, and I also oiled everything down like a sumbitch when I put it all together... So why in the hell is this thing not turning?

It turns great with standard size bearings but there is an ever-so-slight amount of play between the rod and crank with those, so I know that the crank was milled down at remanufacture. I got the crank through NAPA.

Outside of having the wrong cap on, my mechanic buddies and I can't think of any possibilities. It's the first piston and we've done everything right... at least to the best of our combined automotive knowledge.

Any Ideas?

Help me Obi Wan Blazobis you're my only hope.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Xtremechubs is an unknown quantity at this point

The .010 over bearings are clamping down on a crank that hasn't been turned to fit it turn the crank and have it aligned honed down the mains and you should be good. I'm sure a modderator will move this because it is not a build well atleast hopefully they will

Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 PM
pendrin2020 is on a distinguished road

First and foremost I would like to thank all of 23 people who looked at this thread and basically decided to give me the shaft. To the one person who posted, Thank you for taking the problem seriously and directing my question to the proper section of the forums.

Just an FYI. I did have the caps mixed up and The bottom end is half way together and spinning like a drunken disco girl.

Peace.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pendrin2020
First and foremost I would like to thank all of 23 people who looked at this thread and basically decided to give me the shaft. To the one person who posted, Thank you for taking the problem seriously and directing my question to the proper section of the forums...
Great attitude! I'm certain it will endear you to the members here and prompt them to be quick to help you out in the future.

And, BTW, I'm the one who moved your thread to the correct section.