Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

what could it be

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
cvcmama22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what could it be

92 jimmy 4.3 vorteccpi start but missing manifold on passager side is warm driver side is hot spark plugs and passager is flooded hoses to the brake booster uplug it runs plug it back in and doesn't run or runs rough

Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what could it be

Leaking CPI fuel pressure regulator? Check your fuel pressure, I am sure you will find that it bleeds down after you turn the key off. Next step would be to pull off the upper plenum and pressurize the system again, inspecting for the actual leak location. If you see puddles of fuel on the passenger side of the lower intake, then you have an FPR problem. This is what I am suspecting is what has happened with your engine.

This is a common problem with the CPI motors and has been well documented on the site. Please run a search with CPI, FPR, or some combination of keywords that makes sense and you should find more than enough information.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 PM

just put a new cpi on and still having the problem

Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you did the CPI unit, did you replace the internal fuel lines? Test the pressure just to make sure that it still isn't a bad FPR...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 AM

getting good pressure no gas in the plemun the fpr came with the cpi unit but before i bought the cpi unit i bought a fpr so now i have 2 new fpr one gas hose we replaced we also replaced about 5 other sensor o2,water sensor,map,trottle body,2 relaynew plugs,wires, cap button , the sensoron the distr. the pcv valve,newfuel filter changed the oil twice because of gas getting downin oil took the egr off and made sure that was clean checked the timing number 4 was not hitting all the time but the others were checked the fuses replaced the vac hoses we found were bad new muffler took the cat off

we just don't know what else to do

Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator

You say that the pressure is good. What is it holding at with the key on, engine off, pump primed (specific pressure reading) and what happens to it when you turn the key off? What is the pressure right after you turn the key off, after 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, & 30 minutes? I'm sorry if it sounds like I am beating a dead horse, but too many times people make comments that the pressure is good when in fact there is a problem... I am only asking for information that I would get myself if I were working on the vehicle.

So by gas hose, you mean one of the fuel lines inside the engine? These typically come paired and should be replaced as such. Whenever the CPI unit is removed, these internal fuel lines should be replaced (unless they are fairly new - ie. less than 1 year of operation).

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

one of the gas hoses were cracked and we replaced the hose we then put the spider in and hooked everything up and made sure there was no leaks turned the key on the pressure is around 55 to 60 with teh key on then goes to about 63 when starting if it doesn't start we unplug the fuel pump try to start it starts then dies shortly after then plug the pump back in and the car starts i guess it burns some of the gas off enought of start we had someone else look at it that knows this type of engine and he says he doesn't know either going to put it on the computer next and see if anything came ups