Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

what spark plugs do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Default what spark plugs do you recommend?

Hey guys, tomorrow I'm planning on getting new plugs and wires for my 94 Jimmy (4.3 vortec). I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion from you guys as to what I should get. When I was changing the plugs in my Trans Am, my mechanic insisted upon regular AC-Delco plugs. Different car, different engine, but the 4.3 Vortec and 305 TPI LB9 are both chevy engines right? Lemme know what you guys think, something for best efficiency would be great since the Jimmy is my daily runner. Thanks!

EDIT: And what gap should they be set to? I know that plugs are supposed to come already properly adjusted but that is definitely not the case, at least through what I've seen.

Last edited by musclecar70sfan; 12-21-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of what I've seen here has been go with the AC Delcos.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

AC Delco Platinum, pre-gapped, 'nuff said.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oisinirish
Most of what I've seen here has been go with the AC Delcos.
Originally Posted by ABN31B
AC Delco Platinum, pre-gapped, 'nuff said.

Sounds like a plan

Old 12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I'm just gonna go with AC Rapidfires when I change mine. I've heard good things about them.

Last edited by cbr995; 12-29-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

for the most part I'd say 90%+ of everyone on here goes with or goes back to Delcos. For whatever reason, the 4.3 in these blazers just seem to repond very well to them. i have poked through back posts on this subject and from time to time someone switches over or tries a new style of plug, but generally you cant go wrong with the delco plats.

i am running them now with 0 complaints.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

I am running Bosch +4's and they've been absolutely great, they haven't gotten dirty after almost 50K.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFisher
I am running Bosch +4's and they've been absolutely great, they haven't gotten dirty after almost 50K.

Regards,

Thomas
You are one of the fortunate ones then. Bosch = JUNK IMO and that is based off of using them (against my recommendations) in quite a few different vehicles. All came back after less than 10k miles.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You are one of the fortunate ones then. Bosch = JUNK IMO and that is based off of using them (against my recommendations) in quite a few different vehicles. All came back after less than 10k miles.
The first set my dad got was broke, but that was immediately apparent. This second set has performed well. The guy at napa told us DO NOT USE THE +4 IN CAVALIERS! Because they melt the tops of the pistons.

If they are junk, I will replace them with AC Delco when the time comes, one trick that has saved my a$$ alone on boats before is: If an engine won't start, put AC Delco plugs in it. That has worked several times for me. I also know that AC Delcos will run longer than anything else. I always carry spare AC Delco plugs with me for outdoor power stuff.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
96BlazerGrrrl96 is on a distinguished road

We went with the Bosch Platinum series that were pre-gapped and have driven them for the last 4-5,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Never tried the AC Delcos though but we loved the Bosch ones so far.

Quick Reply: what spark plugs do you recommend?