Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Where can I find a small wire brush for ERG port cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
riverjamie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where can I find a small wire brush for ERG port cleaning?

I need to find a EGR port cleaning brush to loosen the carbon deposits. Also does anyone know how far down the brush can be pushed so I know how long of a brush I need? I've looked a Harbor Freight Tool Co. They have some with brass on the end. The brush head it's self is 4 inches long not sure how long the shaft is? Here's a link if it works. I want to install athe screened Tomco EGR gasket, but first I want to really clean out the portsfirst.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Where can I find a small wire brush for ERG port cleaning?

I have used a 24" long brush. I cannot remember how far in it went though. Get the longest one you can. It will not hurt anything.

The link did not work, but your description sounds right. The bristled section is usually only around 4" long, then the rest is just the wire center.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again for getting back to me. The truck is still runing good. Sorry the link didn't work. Do you remember where you purchased the 24 inch long brush? The one's that I talked about are only 10 inches long.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I grabbed it from the maintenance department at work. I know they use Grainger, MSC, and a few other sources for those types of things.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

Hi I finally found a couple of websites for the long brush. The first one is Tanis Inc, Manufacture of the 1/2 wire brush 18inch long 05442 stainless or 05462 brass. But if you want to order just one you have to go to a distributor which is McMaster- Carr (note I could not find the 18 inch brush on the Mc Master website so I had to call them 562-692-5911). So here are the websites. Note the 1/2 with shipping is $15. Also if you don't want wire a long nylon bristtle 24 inch(used for cleaning dryerfilter system $10)can be purchased at Lowes or I guess Home Depot. Home all this helps.

http://www.tanisinc.com/tb_heavyduty.php

www.mcmaster.com