Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

White smoke and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
pinecone is on a distinguished road
Default White smoke and stalls

I have a problem that no one seems to be able to figure out. I have a 97' 4wd Blazer with 126,000 miles but up until now ran fine.

Ok this June on hot summer evening I drive to Sacramento on the freeway at 70 mph and I see the 4wd light on. Never happened before, switching to 4wd by itself. So I push the 2wd button and continue on. Then I turn around and drive back home, (45 minutes) again on the freeway. As I am getting on my off ramp I see white smoke coming from the passenger side of the car and then it shudders and stalls. I have it towed home and had it looked at. They couldn't find anything and it ran fine for a month when it did it again. Going up a hill on a hot day this time at 50 mph, starts smoking, I stop and let it cool start it up then it stalls. I let it cool some more and it runs fine. This has happened two more times. Always on a hot day, coming up a hill.

Ok so I had the 4wd disabled thinking it was something to do with the 4wd and as I will never drive in snow again. I have a brand new fuel pump, new radiator, new AC unit, had the oil changed, had the transmission serviced and it still does it. I do have an oil leak but I don't have to put oil in it every week or even month, just my regular oil change. Can't afford to have all the oil lines changed right now. I can understand the oil spilling onto a hot engine and that is the smoke, but why does it stall after I let it cool off? The smoke is coming from just underneath the transmission fluid dipstick area. Help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

How is your trans fluid. Puts out white smoke and coats the tailgate with crud. Front seal?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
pinecone is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
How is your trans fluid. Puts out white smoke and coats the tailgate with crud. Front seal?

Just had my transmission serviced. Smoke is coming from under the hood, passenger side, right underneath the transmission dipstick. I am a female and don't have a clue what a "seal" is. Thanks though.