Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

will not shift into drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
jadossgmc is on a distinguished road
Default will not shift into drive

th700r4 transmission in my 90 gmc jimmy wont shift into drive or overdrive, it just winds out in second gear. i replaced my solenoid inside the trans pan, didn't help. what voltage needs to be going to the solenoid from the three wire leads to the transmission? what should i try next? any help would be greatly appreciated. apparently this is a common problem because all the trucks at the junk yards are missing their 700r4 transmissions. i havent been through the rules for this forum but, text or call with any answers 6143029094 thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to say this, but it sounds like your 3-4 clutch pack is bad. If it were not shifting out of 1st, I would say that your governor was at fault, but if it shifts into 2nd and just won't go any higher...

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 AM
jadossgmc is on a distinguished road
Default thanks for the diagnosis

now on a scale, how hard would it be to replace this pack? or would i be better off finding and pulling another tranny?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to remove the transmission and basically rebuild it. My advice would be to find a good used transmission.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Next time get your TV cable setup properly. That's the only reason those clutches should ever go out. I'm rebuilding a trans with 314K miles on it(farm truck that pulled a lot) and aside from being dirty from other causes(1-2 accumulator wore out letting 2-4 band slip so it filled the trans with burnt band particles), the clutches look like they could go for another 100K.

This is the TV cable bible if you will. Once you fry your brain trying to understand it, you'll make sure it's always adjusted correctly.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

I'm sure it's recommended to readjust the cable since it probably stretches over time and gets out of adjustment resulting in eventual clutch failure from reduced line pressure.

Depending on how much you've drove it since it happened if you know someone who's done one before you could have it done in a day for less than $50.

Last edited by TZFBird; 11-07-2010 at 07:56 PM.