Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Will the OBDII read the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Starting Member
Denominator is on a distinguished road
Default Will the OBDII read the transmission?

My 1996 Chevy Blazer LT is actually built in 1995, according to the VIN sticker. Will my OBDII reader get codes out of the transmission on this model?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

'96 model should be OBDII compliant. Unless you have one of the more expensive scanners you probably can't get those codes though.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Starting Member

I have a very simpel scanner that reads and clears the codes. I have to hook it up to a computer, and the software that came with the scanner decodes it.
I have pulled some codes and been able to fix it that way, but I'm not sure if I get the codes for the transmission, if there are any.

What will you guys recommend to be a good scanner?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out Swartlkk's posts on the subject. He knows way more about those things than me. Try an advanced search for scanners and by poster, Swartlkk.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Starting Member

Thanks, did the search and found what I was looking for

Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put the information here for those that find this thread in the future.

There are two types of codes. Generic and Enhanced (or Manufacturer Specific) OBD2 codes. Most scan tools available can only read the generic codes.

There are some transmission codes that are generic and then quite a number that are manufacturer specific.

Codes themselves are described in the first part of THIS THREAD.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Starting Member

My scanner can read Generic and Enhanced.
I can't find a sticker on my truck that states it as a OBD2 system, but from what I can read in one of your earlyer posts, Swartlkk, this is my setup:

Fully OBD2 - OBD2 connector under the dash on the driver side with the PCM located under the hood on the passenger side. Only late model year 95's got this configuration, but again, I have not been able to find any change over information.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All 96 model year vehicles are fully OBD2. What you quoted only applies to vehicles of the 1995 model year.

What are you trying to diagnose here?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Starting Member

What got me wondering is that my VIN label states that it is a 1995, month 7.
It got imported to norway, and registered as a 1996. That's why I asked if it would read the transmission. I'm not trying to diagnose anything at this point, but wold like to know if codes would pop up if i did have a problem with the transmission.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator

... That is a new one. Different countries require different model year information based on their standards... You may need to figure out if your truck is actually a 95 or if it is a 96 by US standards... That is a different one...

Quick Reply: Will the OBDII read the transmission?