Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

wireing harness changes from 96 to 98

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member
project 96 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1996 s-10 blazer and i am putting a used motor in it because the old one blew(the previous owner was a jacka$$) and i thought it would be a simple swap to put a 98 motor in it. but the wiring harness is different from the one that was on mine to the one that came with it. and the guy that tried to work on my car messed up many (almost all) of the connectors. so now i can see the distinct differences in the two harnesses. and now i need to see y they r different and see if anyone has an idea where to get a used on besides at a junkyard because i seem to have no luck at them.

o and i already switched over the coolant temp sensor so it matched the 96 engine so the sensors now r the exact same on the 98 motor as the old 96 motor that was in it.

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-17-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only other option would be dealer for the harness and that is going to be $$$. You could try to get the harness off of eBay (s10warehouse is a seller that specializes in s-series vehicles).

Did you already swap the lower intake over to your 96 motor? The reason I ask is because the 96-97 SCFI motors had a second coolant temp sensor for the PCM in the lower intake near the thermostat that was combined with the gauge sensor in the 98+ engines.

As far as other differences, they likely just revised the plugs and/or sensors. There should be very little difference in things though. Sounds more like you are dealing with a mangled up harness from the PO.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member

the lower intake had a plug for the temp sensor so i removed the plug and put in a new temp sensor for my 96 and ive double and triple checked all the sensors to make sure they match up and they do. i might just have to use some of the plugs off the 98 harness and splice them into my old one. the big change on the 98 harness is what looks to be another computer or something of that nature it is a black rectangle plug in and it has a little bit of blue plastic on it and a bolt in the middle and my 96 does not have anything even close to that.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well that makes sense then. I thought you were just comparing the engine plugs. That large connector goes to the underhood fuse block that the 98+ trucks have while yours does not.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member

O ok that makes sense now. i am going to have to put a little more work in to save the money. thank you