Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1990 K5 rear window problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive never had to replace one. i know it just unscrews off the motor itself but no idea on the regulator

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
ive never had to replace one. i know it just unscrews off the motor itself but no idea on the regulator
I've mentioned previously, the cable is disconnected from the motor so that's not the issue here.

*EDIT* I still can't get off the cable...

Last edited by THePaRaSiTE5771; 05-14-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

vvvvv I explained how to remove the cable from the regulator transmission in this reply... vvvvv
Originally Posted by swartlkk
Referring to the pictures previously posted in post #4, look at the picture on the right. You will see where the cable attaches to the transmission. Zoom in on the picture to get a good look at the connection. You will see that the end of the cable is ob-longed. The cable is removed by finding the longer sides and pressing them in. This will bow out the narrower sides, disengaging them from the regulator transmission.
Take a look at the new cable when it comes in and you will see how it is.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road

ahhh i finally found the thread, sorry took so long parasite...

the regulator should have a nut on it... if not it normally means someone has worked on it before, i have seen in the past people would super glue there regulator cable casing to the regulator, so it doesnt fall out.. because they lost the nut or something like that. i have tried the fingernail polish remover before and got lucky once.. the other times i had to order a regulator for my friends K5...

i guess i should ask if the casing spins in the regulator? or not... if not i would think its bonded with something.. if it spins, and it still does not come out. and you dont plan on re-using the old one... try to pull it off and twist with some vice grips....

hope this helps

Ck1500

Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Starting Member

swartlkk, the new cable arrived on Thursday...

Ck1500, The casing spins but I can't get it off. I will try the vice grips today.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of my power window regulators have a nut that holds the drive cable to the regulator. Both are as I described and as my picture above shows. You just pinch the wider part together. If the plastic is stiff, you may need to use a pair of pliers, but it should come apart. The new one just pushes on.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Starting Member

Neither of my power window regulators have a nut that holds the drive cable to the regulator. Both are as I described and as my picture above shows. You just pinch the wider part together. If the plastic is stiff, you may need to use a pair of pliers, but it should come apart. The new one just pushes on.
OK, thanks man. I will try tomorrow and let you know what happens. Also, I have a question: Where the cable goes into the motor, is there supposed to be a white, plastic piece also going into the motor? I have that on the motor. Just wondering if it is supposed to be like that.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Starting Member

Well, the new cable was installed but apparently isn't the problem. It does the same thing, the motor revs but the gears don't move and it still doesn't even try to lift the window. What the heck is going on?!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

If everything is installed properly, then the problem has to be the motor. Something has to be broken in the nose drive of the motor itself. Your cable would have needed some help anyway because the end was off of it.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Starting Member

If everything is installed properly, then the problem has to be the motor. Something has to be broken in the nose drive of the motor itself. Your cable would have needed some help anyway because the end was off of it.
So I need a new motor? How do I take out the old one?

Quick Reply: 1990 K5 rear window problems