Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

74 Blazer axle rap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:14 PM
blubiu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 74 Blazer axle rap

Hello Blazer fans! I have a 74 K5. I'm pushing close to 500hp to the rear end and I get alot of axle rap. Does anyone know where I can go to get strengthening bars to stop this?

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 74 Blazer axle rap

Do you want slapper bars or something more positive?

Do you have a lift? 4wd or 2wd? We need some more information...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Sorry, new to forumns.

The blazer is 4wd. I have no idea what slapper bars are. Friend have told me to use tubing with hiem joints. I guess you can buy kits? The rearend is a 12 bolt with 4.11's and an eaton posi

Thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess I should have thought about that a bit before recommending it. Works on old leaf sprung cars with the coils mounted under the rear axle. Not so well on spring over axle vehicles, but can be adapted. Basically, a slapper bar is a bar that extends forward from the axle. It is rigidly mounted to the axle. When the axle wraps, the bar comes up and hits the spring. Typically there is a rubber bump stop on the top as to not make it clang. They work and can work well. Best part is they do not cause as much binding of the suspension as a drag link can cause. Heim joints reduce the tendency to bind a lot, but whenever you add an extra link in the suspension...

Now you could do a center mount up front and then drop the mount on the axle a few inches below centerline and get the resistance to wrap that you are looking for with bars.

*EDIT* - Check out the kits from DIY4X.com > CLICK HERE While they have a kit for the 14BFF, it should give you some ideas.

Superlift also has a system that is made for your truck. I believe it is used to be sold under PN SUP100, but I cannot find it anywhere...

I have also seen a dual, telescoping setup (one on each side) that utilized the plates that DIY4X.com sells on the axle tube with a custom mount up at the frame.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Kyle,

Thanks for your responses. I like the idea of the center mount up front. So I'm thinking of like a piece of 2" .250 wall sq. tubing between the frame channels up front and then running DOM tubing with hiem joints out to my axle tubing where I would weld on some brackets for attaching the hiem joints to. What do you think?
By the way I checked out the DIY4X site and it has DIY anti wrap brackets and also the poly bushing brackets which might be a little quieter than the hiem joists.

Thanks,
Israel

Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

You still want the heim joints at one end (typically placed at the front). If you do a bar on each side, then you would want to have it be telescoping so it would not present a bind situation. The brackets that DIY4X offer make things a lot easier for mounting to the rear.

I wish I had pictures of the setup that I saw. It was pretty nice although looked quite a bit heavier than it needed to be. That setup used square tubing with the front portion fitting inside the rear portion. The rear half was basically a rigid triangle that mounted to the brackets offered by DIY4X.