Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

74 K5 blazer castor

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:25 PM
BobTheWildman is on a distinguished road
Default 74 K5 blazer castor

I have a 9 inch suspension lift and have set my driveshaft right but the castor is to far forward, I ground off the weld but can't turn the end .
Can you help me?
Thank you

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have to grind some more. The weld goes in pretty deep on the knuckle.

Hopefully you are working with a Dana 60. Hate to think you are working with a Dana 44 with a lift that big and the tires that would be used with such a lift.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Thank you,
I am working on a 44, are you talking about grinding the knuckle or the tube or both? How deep ? Then will a 2lb hammer turn it ?
Is there a weld inside the tube ?
Knoledge and conections from computers are wonderfull, Thank you.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM

What does ...All the best... mean?
You sounded like you have done it before.I am just trying to get a good idea from someone with experience. I am a experienced welder and I know that I need to keep it alined but some insite would be very helpfull and appreciated.
I have run larger tires before and now have smaller with lighter wheels and using a axle truss.

Last edited by BobTheWildman; 03-18-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Not enough info
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are working with a Dana 44, I hope you don't plan on leaving pavement. 35" tires are about the limit for moderate wheeling with a Dana 44 and you don't need 9" of lift to run 35's. An inexperienced offroader can damage a 44 with 33" tires. Experienced offroaders can make a 44 last with up to 37's and some internal upgrades, but those upgrades can cost about the same as moving to a Dana 60.

As far as how to cut the the knuckle off, you do not want to grind away at the tube. Knuckle only. Take too much off the tube and you might as well just scrap the axle. There should not be any welds on the inside.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Thank you, do you know how dificult it will beand what to use? It's not a off roader , I might do some light off roading years down the road but it's a show / fun street cruiser. Street Trucks Magazine tells me that a artical on The Gnarly 1 ( my 74 ) will be in thier June addition with info on how I comptetly rebuilt this truck with all new sheet metal and updating everything else.
Thanks for your insite.

Last edited by BobTheWildman; 03-19-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: forgot info