Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

82 k5 tailgate lock question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 82 k5 tailgate lock question

so im trying to get my tailgate unlocked. none of the keys seem to fit right. shouldn't it be the same key as the locks on the outside of the driver and passenger side?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why is this in Gen Chat???

*Moving to Fullsize Tech*

Ever consider that the tailgate might not be original to the truck?? Sounds like you need to get it rekeyed by a lock smith or the dealership.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

its an original tailgate. the lock cylinder must not be though. lmc wants $90, for a new key and lock cylinder. i'll check ebay
all ebay is coming back with is the tailgate straps....
is there anyway to manually unlock it from the inside? i know the window should be down when i do this too. that doesn't work either. its electric and i can hear the window attempting to go down. it sounds like the rear window motor is starting to go...which napa says they can't get..sorry for posting all these problems all in one but they are intwined.

my plan is to get the cap off so i can get my floor panels redone.that's what started all of this.

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 02-18-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

can you put the window down from the front switch? the tailgate doesnt actually use a key to lock. theres a locking mechanism inside the tailgate that unlocks by putting the window all the way down. if the window goes down and it wont open it might be that window lock thing. also last k5 i owned. i had to pull the handle then kinda hit the tailgate with my shoulder to open it

Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

no the window will not go down. i was thinking if i could get the tailgate down i could diagnois and mostly likely replace the rear window motor.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it won't go down then you have to pull the access panel and disconnect the drive cable from the motor, then connect a drill to lower the window. Or you could check/replace the motor right then and there.

If the safety switch on the latch has failed open, the window will never work until you bypass the safety switch.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If it won't go down then you have to pull the access panel and disconnect the drive cable from the motor, then connect a drill to lower the window. Or you could check/replace the motor right then and there.

If the safety switch on the latch has failed open, the window will never work until you bypass the safety switch.
alright i'll check that out tomorrow.
thanks

-dave