Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

new tailgate lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Qumodo is on a distinguished road
Default new tailgate lock

ok so i got my new tailgate lock today from autozone, unfortunately it doesn't come with directions and i cant see a clear way of installing it. anyone here who knows how to install this please share. pics are attached.

Attached Thumbnails new tailgate lock-latch1.jpg   new tailgate lock-latch2.jpg   new tailgate lock-latch3.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM

so i got the new lock in fairly easily but i still cannot close the glass after i have closed the tailgate. i have to partially close the gate bring down the glass and pop them in at the same time to get them to close. has anyone else had this problem? it seems like the metal latch on the glass is not long enough. Please help ASAP as this is driving me insane!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ok, i'm gonna skip the part of the lesson where i tell you how to remove the trim and everyhting else from the inside.

remove the black plate covering up the latch assm.

you need to remove the large Cadium plated spring clip (it's right behind the black thumb turn). the one on your truck is gonna need to be pried off (and is probably rusty in colour), with a large screwdriver or pry bar. then simply slip the old lock assm out of your tailgate.

installation is in reverse order. make sure your new gasket is sitting flat properly, otherwise, the new lock won't sit flush & the new spring clip won't be able to fit in the groove.

it sounds like it's a hard/tricky job, but it's not, and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes total.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you need to adjust the glass latch mechanism. It's pretty easy to do. LINK

Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Sounds like you need to adjust the glass latch mechanism. It's pretty easy to do. LINK
what a tool! i didn't even see his 2nd post yesterday!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM

no worries old skool thanks tho.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
BF Guru

did you get around to adjusting the latch yet? if so, how'd you make out with it?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 PM

i spent 2 hrs adjusting that latch last night with no luck. the latch still will not reach the lock on the door.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM
BF Guru

i don't understand how replacing the lock assm, has caused the window to not latch anymore.

did you lossen/remove the latch assembly at all?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM

I finally got it to latch! i had to file the top bolt hole of the latch assem. to get it closer to the glass latch. its about time this has been a pain in my @@@ for to long. thanks everyone for all the help.