Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

84 6.2l

Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
scottystew is on a distinguished road
Default 84 6.2l

i need to figure out the gear ratio in my rear diff.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Pull your cover off and post the numbers. It will have numbers like 41 11. Which is the amount of teeth on the ring and pinion gear. After dividing them youll come out with 373. I hate going by the glove box cause you dont know if its been changed. You probably have 308 if its stock

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

thanks ill check that when i get some time

Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM

the rear diff went out is the reason i need to know so i can fix it. but i couldnt find the numbers and the oil was greenish? and anyways im pretty sure its stock the original bill of sale said it came with a posi and thats what it is

Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a picture (see below) of the numbers that abig84 is speaking of. You may have to rotate the ring gear around to find them.

This picture shows a GM Corp 10-bolt front axle, but if your rear axle is stock, it may be a 10-bolt as well:

Here is a shot of a GM Corp 14-bolt Full Floater I have in the shop now:

Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 PM

see the problem is i cant turn it, its locked up

Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can probably count the teeth.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
You can probably count the teeth.
yeah sorry i wasnt more specific on where the numbers are i was probably posting from my phone and hate typing out long answers. if your able to see all the teeth on the ring gear and the pinion gear thats just as good as finding the numbers on the ring gear.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
Pull your cover off and post the numbers. It will have numbers like 41 11. Which is the amount of teeth on the ring and pinion gear. After dividing them youll come out with 373. I hate going by the glove box cause you dont know if its been changed. You probably have 308 if its stock

not with the 6.2 in there, it'll be 3.42's. don't know why the diesel K5's & 'Burb's came with 3.42's (unless it was one of those M1009 CUCV military ones, i've heard they came with 3.73's as standard), but the gas trucks had the 3.08's as standard.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 AM

its got 3.08 im pretty sure because it says it in my owners manual

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.