Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

85 K5 Starting Issues and Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Beginning Member
Horns K5 is on a distinguished road

I don't know of any error codes haven't been able to get it down to any shop to have that checked...is there a way to find out with taking down to someone with a hand held device?

I will check to see if I am getting power the solenoid tomorrow (12v right?)

But the rebuild kit won't fix my leak problem so adding everthing up with getting that fixed at a machine/carb shop plus the rebuild kit and any add parts probably would be best to get a new/rebuilt carb

Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You probably have a cracked carb bowl (center section of the carb) where the fuel inlet fitting threads in. This is a somewhat common issue if the inlet fitting is ever cross threaded and can be made worse by using the repair inlets.

I would definitely recommend a replacement carb.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You probably have a cracked carb bowl (center section of the carb) where the fuel inlet fitting threads in. This is a somewhat common issue if the inlet fitting is ever cross threaded and can be made worse by using the repair inlets.

I would definitely recommend a replacement carb.

Well at least I learned some things from my "research"...And boy am I glad I have federal emissions.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys I guess I will get a rebuilt carb and go from there.

Is that why I can get it started but it seems starved for fuel and have to hold the accel to the floor?

Hopefully this will take care of most of the issues I can see what else it could be. I have checked everything electrical (spark) and the fuel pump works fine.

I will let you know and thanks again!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem is likely completely carb related. There are well plugs for the primary and secondary metering rod wells that like to leak on these Q-jets as well. This can cause the float bowl to drain out into the intake causing a rich condition. Opening up the throttle all the way allows the gas to dissipate inside the intake. But if the leak is bad enough...

I had to remove the old lead well plugs and tap out the holes for some screws to seal them back up on my K5. It has been running excellent ever since!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Beginning Member

I got the carb and installed it. It definitely fixed the leak issues. I primed it and have fuel in the carb bowl but it still just cranks and cranks but will not turn over. If I push the pedal to the floor it will act as if it is going to start but will not.

Any other suggestions on what to try?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Did you set the initial primary jet opening?

Sounds as though you have flooded it. Pin the throttle valves wide open and let it sit with the air cleaner off for a little bit to allow the fuel to evaporate.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member

How do I set the initial primary jet opening? I am not familiar with this.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

What did you end up getting for a carb? Another Rochester Q-jet?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

Yes. Same carb with gray soleniod connector with two blue wires coming out of connector on carb.

Also I was told (by a passer by) that I couldn't start it with the air cleaner off. Is this true...do I need to plug any of the hoses?

Quick Reply: 85 K5 Starting Issues and Fuel Leak