Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

86 Tailgate window and door locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member
Diverknox is on a distinguished road
Default 86 Tailgate window and door locks

My Wife and I just bought this K5 a few weeks ago. Nothing works in the tailgate. I need to fix it. I ordered all parts that were missing and the motor works, just need to know how to hook everything up. Any help would be appreciated..
Can't find any diagrams anywhere.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Beginning Member
Hooligan is on a distinguished road

You mean how to hook up the new motor? Mine just had a plug for the electric that snapped in, and then the cord thingy (that's the technical name) that goes from the motor to the window crank mechanism just screwed up inside.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Beginning Member

Actualy the motor works ok. I just bought a spring, and a cable for the window. I just don't know where the cable hooks to the regulator. According to the parts list off an order guide, I think I have everything. But i just have a feeling that the parts that I saw, were only the parts they sold.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member
Hooligan is on a distinguished road

Got ya, I didn't get that far in to mine yet but I will need to replace that cable. Sooo, if you find out snap some pics for me!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Try looking up the tailgate on LMC truck or a service manual. I have worked on several K5 tailgates over the years and I dont ever recall a cable in there anywhere.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The power window is driven by a flexible drive cable. I have one sitting on my bench right now. Not sure where the spring would go other than the clock spring in the regulator itself...

What all did you purchase that you are needing to install? Are you converting from a manual rear window to an electric one?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member

Well it turns out that I'm running into dead ends everywhere. I went to two of the local chevy/GMC dealers in town and they have no idea.. It loioks like it is up to us..
One diagram that I did get showes the motor attached to the regulator. however the one I have, the motor is cable driven.. The motor is on the drivers side, cable runs to some sort of gear box, that I can't find anywhere, that is mounted on the passanger side.. The only motor that the dealer can come up with is the "R" body type, and not the "V" body type. Of course when asked, the only difference he knew of was the vent windows in the front doors.. I don't know how that effects the tailgate,, But I guess it does.. I will go out and take a couple of pics and see if I can post it on here.. Oh, buy the way, I think I got the door latch problem Licked..

Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member
Default PIcs of the problem

Here is what I have so far

Attached Thumbnails 86 Tailgate window and door locks-dscf1644.jpg   86 Tailgate window and door locks-dscf1645.jpg   86 Tailgate window and door locks-dscf1646.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The V designation was used for the Suburban and the fullsize Blazer from 87 to 91. Where things differed was in the body type. The Blazer was body type 8 while the Suburban was body type 6.

The pictures that Diverknox posted show the location of the motor and show the drive cable. However, it would appear that the drive box on his regulator is missing.

Here are some pictures from my power window regulator.

Front (what you see through the opening in the tailgate):

Back (what is towards the outside of the tailgate):

Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Beginning Member

Perfect... Yes,, The drivebox.. Where can I get one? Dealer told me it was discontinued, Discount auto doesn't have it, Can't find it on LMCtrucks.. Any Ideas??

Quick Reply: 86 Tailgate window and door locks