Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

87 front driveline angle (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member
bill9000 is on a distinguished road

awesome, will do it right away! - Thanks so much for your help!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
BigBlockBlazer is on a distinguished road

I agree and disagree. Switch over to lockouts, this is a must. Do some diagnostic work first. Pull the front d-shaft and check for vibes. If that doesn't fix it the rear shaft is the problem. Usually driveline vibes on lifted Blazer come from the rear shaft, due to excessive u-joint angle. Half ton u-joints are only good for 10 degrees of operation at continuous use. A simple angle finder on the rear shaft will give you the degree and then divide by two. And at 8" of lift there probably isn't much room left in the slip yoke on the rear shaft. The t-case spacers are fine for a daily driver.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by BigBlockBlazer
I agree and disagree. Switch over to lockouts, this is a must. Do some diagnostic work first. Pull the front d-shaft and check for vibes. If that doesn't fix it the rear shaft is the problem. Usually driveline vibes on lifted Blazer come from the rear shaft, due to excessive u-joint angle. Half ton u-joints are only good for 10 degrees of operation at continuous use. A simple angle finder on the rear shaft will give you the degree and then divide by two. And at 8" of lift there probably isn't much room left in the slip yoke on the rear shaft. The t-case spacers are fine for a daily driver.
Hi, and thanks for the reply, Here's what i know so far, (I pulled the front driveline a few days ago...) - and it still makes the same grinding noise upon letting OFF the gas above 30mph. - nasty scraping, grinding kinda noise... (really sounds like its coming from up front) - now I am thinking it might be a transmission issue?) not really any vibration... the rear driveline doesnt appear to be steep at all, it has the shackles for the leaf springs reversed, so that makes the rear end kick up at an angle, helping the driveline...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
BigBlockBlazer is on a distinguished road

U-joints can make noise without vibes. It's easy to unbolt the rear shaft and check for joint play. And "kicking" the rear end up is not advisable unless you have a cv in the shaft. The t-case yoke and rear end yoke should be within 1-2 degrees of each other for proper operation. Hopefully it's not in the trans. Pulling the front diff cover and checking for signs of breakage is easy also. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by BigBlockBlazer
U-joints can make noise without vibes. It's easy to unbolt the rear shaft and check for joint play. And "kicking" the rear end up is not advisable unless you have a cv in the shaft. The t-case yoke and rear end yoke should be within 1-2 degrees of each other for proper operation. Hopefully it's not in the trans. Pulling the front diff cover and checking for signs of breakage is easy also. Good luck.
I will check for these things! - Thank you!!!!!