Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Will it fit tire thread.... but another angle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Will it fit tire thread.... but another angle

I am looking to buy a set of rims and tires from Jegs.
Cragar soft 8's

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rice%257C1&N=0

Unsure which would fit the best near stock....

Also the amount of lift needed is about 2-4 inches comfortably so a body lift is needed (why its in the lifting tech)

Also considering adding shackles to create a rake... slight vehicle rake is sexy... admit it.. lol

But there are slight rubbing issues listed by some people...
What exactly causes this and how would it best be avoided?
I plan on doing a little playing in the dirt but nothing too extreme....

I figure that the body lift and shackles would let the 31's ride, but the rubbing causes me some worry...

The cragar soft 8's I chose because another set of tires need another set of rims, as I have no problem jacking my truck up and swapping tires and rims....

So in summary

2in bl
2in shackles in back
0 tbar crank (premature wear is not wanted)
31' tires on Cragar soft 8's from the link listed above

Rub issues? where

Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry i dont know about the rims.

but with 0 t bar crank, youll probably have a little rubbing at the back of the front fender (where mudflaps go) while hitting a bump & turning. probably nothing too serious tho. just annoying to hear it rub.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go with the 8 inch wide rim. They will be an extra half inch out of the wheel well and a half inch towards the frame rail. The best backspacing I've seen on the soft 8's is about 5 inch. Which would set the rims about 1 inch out of the well on 15x7, and inch and a half on 15x8. With a body lift, I've been told the 95+ have a bigger wheel well than the first, so you should be alright on the street.

Keep in mind some places require fender flares to cover the exposed tread of the tires, so that may cause additional problems if your area has exposed tread laws. Except for parking spots and maybe sharp inclines you may rub frame and kiss the wheel well in those instances.

If you go with the rake look, that would rotate the angle of the wheel well, so the front would be lower, but the rear would be higher, so you MIGHT not rub the mudflap like JSMZ mentioned. That's a big might though so be ready to trim if needed. All of this is just what I have seen and read, I have a 92 so it's a little diffrent then yours so my experience may be a little diffrent.

(I've been researching 31's, wheels, and body lifts for the last year.) Spent ALOT of time in the lifting and wheels and tires sections!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
If you go with the 8 inch wide rim. They will be an extra half inch out of the wheel well and a half inch towards the frame rail. The best backspacing I've seen on the soft 8's is about 5 inch. Which would set the rims about 1 inch out of the well on 15x7, and inch and a half on 15x8. With a body lift, I've been told the 95+ have a bigger wheel well than the first, so you should be alright on the street.

Keep in mind some places require fender flares to cover the exposed tread of the tires, so that may cause additional problems if your area has exposed tread laws. Except for parking spots and maybe sharp inclines you may rub frame and kiss the wheel well in those instances.

If you go with the rake look, that would rotate the angle of the wheel well, so the front would be lower, but the rear would be higher, so you MIGHT not rub the mudflap like JSMZ mentioned. That's a big might though so be ready to trim if needed. All of this is just what I have seen and read, I have a 92 so it's a little diffrent then yours so my experience may be a little diffrent.

(I've been researching 31's, wheels, and body lifts for the last year.) Spent ALOT of time in the lifting and wheels and tires sections!
Thanks, so looks like I need a bit more than 2" of lift. I hate to trim, but is the rubbing only on the wells? Also which backspacing is best? Sticking out the side is no problem....

Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran

How much rubbing?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

mine has just the shakles and tbar crank for 2" of lift and i get rubbing tho its not bad. it hits the edge of the tire it has taken small chunks out of the outside edge of the tire but no bigger than about 1/8th on an inch. i plan on doing the body lift soon. i think you would be good with 2" body lift and doing the shakles in the rear and 1" tbar crank in the front. i dont think 1" crank in the front would really affect stuff. tho some would know more about it than i do. as far as the rubbing i get it only happens when i hit bigger bumps and turning at the same time. i have done some trimming but not very much at all.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

If I remember correctly with a 2in BL and shackles and about 1.5in Tbar crank you can do 32's with little rubbing.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

I have Black Rock series 997 soft 8's with 4 in. backspacing, and a spacer to keep the wheel from hitting my brake caliper. No lift. I rub turning sharp in reverse and hitting bumps while turning, but they look awesome. Right now I have a really bad problem with the universal spacer I bought because no one makes 5x4.75" spacers, so the spacer doesnt sit exactly centered, causing extreme vibration problems over 60mph. I'm looking to get fender flares to keep my blazer from looking like I never wash it sometime soon.