Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

88 K5 stalls, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
lguerra is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 88 K5 stalls, need help

Hello all i have a 1988 K5 with a stall problem . It starts just fine runs about a 1/4 mile down the road and it feels like its struggling for fuel almost like a vapor lock. So i shut it off and and it starts just fine and the problems gone for about a mile. It all started when i took it to emissions they ran it to hard. I have put new battery, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors, Vacuum hose and new charcoal canister, new plugs, ignition coil, and TB gasket and different EGR, if any one has a clue where to look next , i would appreciate the help

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have replaced a lot of stuff. The ESC (electronic spark control) module may be at fault. A problem with the knock sensor (false knock detection) could also cause the ESC module to retard timing, hindering performance.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Yea i replaced a lot off stuff , but not all at once, the battery and fuel pump were first the day i got it, the other stuff was for the emissions then it failed two tests. Every time i took it it ran really rough and stalled on the way back they beat it up. I will look at the ESC and the knock sensor next, thanks so much for the reply.Ill keep up dated

Old 11-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Ok so i got a test light to test the Knock sensor, the chiltons book says to connect the timing light and check correct timing. I am at 0 deg BTDC . I tap the block and the Timing Advances to about 4 deg ATDC , The book says it should Retard timming . Could this be the problem? Does the knock sensor have that much to do with it running good than wanting to stall?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When the KS detects preignition (spark knock), it should retard the timing. It sounds like your ESC module isn't working properly.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Wow thanks is there a way to test ESC, i don't have any info in my book about that?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Here's what I could find:

Attached Thumbnails 88 K5 stalls, need help-88_esc_diag.gif   88 K5 stalls, need help-88_esc_sch.gif  
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM

Thank you so much, this helps a lot. Ill keep updated .

Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Well i got a different ESC, It brought the idle down and sounded good.Ran it for about a mile then it started to Act the same ,wanting to stall and no power, So i asked my instructor, told him the problem He thinks its the computer and since there is no way to re flash or Reprogram Kind of said the obd1 was junk . My Question is is it worth it to try an find a new ECM or Change the Dis, intake and run a carb with out a Computer? Has any one had this big of a problem ?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member
buffalorider13 is on a distinguished road

have you checked the cont mod.. i have heard similar problems related to it. Take it off and take it to Vato zone. They check them for free

Quick Reply: 88 K5 stalls, need help