Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

88 K5 Steering Loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 AM
Adj7982 is on a distinguished road
Default 88 K5 Steering Loose

I recently bought an 88 k5 and drove it home with the steering wheel very sloppy to the point that I was all over the road. I had to learn to play with the steering to compensate for the very sloppy steering. Picked it up for 3800 and for all the work done to it I just took it as is. Many upgrades to engine and tranny. Now I need to fix the steering. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:44 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Adj7982
I recently bought an 88 k5 and drove it home with the steering wheel very sloppy to the point that I was all over the road. I had to learn to play with the steering to compensate for the very sloppy steering. Picked it up for 3800 and for all the work done to it I just took it as is. Many upgrades to engine and tranny. Now I need to fix the steering. Any help would be appreciated.
best bet is to start your own thread, add more information on vehicle. Its frowned upon when someone decides to hijack a thread for their issue.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Adj7982
The K5 has a totally different steering system from the S10. Bad leaf spring bushings or bad sway bar bushings (especially on the driver's side) can cause slop in the steering and cause it to dive to the left when braking. Also. it's very common for the frame to crack where the steering box bolts on. Check those things in addition to normal steering box wear, bad rag joint, etc.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to a thread of your own in the Fullsize Tech Section* Please read the section descriptions and choose appropriately as well as try not to post your questions in someone else's active thread unless it exactly matches and adds to that discussion.

To add to what Tom A has already suggested, I would also suggest that you get under the front end and look/feel for play in the steering tie-rod ends while someone else moves the steering wheel back and forth. The stock setup has 4 tie-rod ends andplay from even slightly worn joints results in very exaggerated and sometimes erratic steering movements. I replace the joints in the "dog-bone" (the link from the steering gearbox pitman arm back to the arm on the driver side steering knuckle) on my '74 when I started having trouble with the all too common 'death-wobble' at speeds over 45mph and that helped dramatically.