Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

that aint supposed to happen

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road
Default that aint supposed to happen

hey then i grab my tie rod you can twist the whole thing and both ends move that aint right right .do i need to replace the adjustable connecting rod too?man is this dangerous to drive if i can just move my whole tie rod just by twisting the whole bar

Attached Thumbnails that aint supposed to happen-dscf0117.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

??? What is it exactly that you think moves too much? I would hope you twist one end the other follows. The ends {ball in socket} can rotate about 35 deg each way from center, IIRC

Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'm a bit confused myself. How much resistance is there? Does it move with just the force of gravity or do you need to torque on it with a pipe wrench?

Tie rods are designed to rotate and flew. Too easy is not good, too tight is not good, either. You shouldn't be able to move them by hand but you shouldn't need to double wrench a pipe wrench either.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I disagree. They shouldnt flop around but if you cant twist it with your hand using some effort, there's something wrong.

Let's settle the point.. the test is whether or not the joints on the ends have slop with lateral, not rotary, motion

Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 AM
ramapge is on a distinguished road

It's okay if you can rotate it, it's the slop you don't want, where one wheel can move and the other doesn't. The tie rod 'ties' the two wheels together. Did you find any slop using the method I described to you in another post?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Starting Member

see the rod in the picture if you grab that and twist it the ends clunk up and down alot

Old 10-31-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, I know what you're talking about. If it rotates in the direction that the tires rotate it's fine. If it didn't when the wheels are turned the tie rod would bind. If you jack up the driver's side tire and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth to put a little pressure on the steering components you can check for anything that's loose. If you notice the driver's side wheel turning and the passenger side staying still then the tie rod ends are worn. FYI: you'll notice that you can also twist the drag link, this is normal.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM

Could you post a video on youtube, maybe that would clear up any confusion.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you can twist them like giving a indian burn to someones arm and they will move a bit. but if you can grab that bar and bounce them up and down then you got a problem. best way is to jack one front tire up at a time and then push them side to side and watch the tie rod. it shouldnt have any play in it

Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

so does that whole bar come off to replace the ends..mines got shcoks or something connecting to it it looks like you can only unscrew one end

Quick Reply: that aint supposed to happen