Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

brakes yall

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road
Default brakes yall

hey how hard is it to put in a new brake booster?i got damn near no brakes i have to stand up on em when i gott stop kinda quick i thought it was air in the lines but a mechanic that i know said its probably the brake booster is that a tough fix er what?78 350

Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

easy take master cylinder off unbolt booster take the linkage off under dash and your golden

Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy. Disconnect the vacuum line to the booster (if air rushes in when you disconnect this line, you may not have a booster problem). Unbolt the master cylinder and support it sufficiently so as to not damage the lines in case they are rusty. Disconnect the pushrod from the brake pedal. Then remove the 4 nuts that are around where the pushrod goes through the firewall under the dash.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Starting Member

right on thanks.but i just got done drivein it and its been runnin hot ever since i got it i replaced the fan clutch i got a shroud replaced the thermostat i cant figure it out it runs at the 3/4 mark on the gauge and damn near the red sometimes if yall got any suggestions id really appreciate it

Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you might not have all of the air out of the system or that your radiator cap isn't holding the system pressure at 16psi as required to prevent boiling of the coolant.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Starting Member

how would i go about fixin it because i put new heads on it last year becasue of the other owner runnin it hot so i wanna get this fixed so i dont **** up my new heads

Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator

You could try elevating the front end with the cap side of the radiator higher than the other side and run the engine up to operating temperature a few times allowing time for it to sufficiently cool between warm-ups keeping the radiator topped up.

Then throw on a new radiator cap. The Stant Safety caps have never let me down in the past.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

what would i be looking for by elevating the side with the radiator cap on it..i got a new cap but once it was stuck and the radiator got a littlke bent up where the cap goes they were smoggin it and ran it on the dyno and all the fluids got drained and they almost blew up my engine could it be that its not sealing becasue where it got bent is still ****ed up?i did a pressure test and i think i remember it was ok you said 16 psi?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

By elevating the front of the vehicle and having the cap side of the radiator higher, any air in the system will want to get to the cap area & out of the radiator.

If the neck on the radiator is bent up and prohibits the radiator cap from sealing properly, that right there could be the source of your problem.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Old/original radiator? Flushed? Mine was NASTY and still has some 'barnacles" on the core. Gonna try flushing one more time then replace if necessary.

If the radiator is in good condition otherwise a shop should be able to remove and replace the neck at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: brakes yall