Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

California smog stuff on a 78 k5

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could drop the tank and slather epoxy on any joints between metal parts and put some sealer on any rubber to metal connections.

Have they done a smoke test?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road

i havent i really would like to i camne up with a contraption with a air bed pump some guy said not to pump more than 4lbs or air into how do you do the smoke test thatsd be really helpful to know!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't pump more than that in there either. More than that and the tank may deform.

Basically, a smoke test pumps artificial smoke into the system with a light pressure. The smoke will leak out of any leaks in the system.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Starting Member

yeh but how would i go about pumping smoke where does the smoke come from..if its not a at home job how much does that usually run?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator

You need a smoke machine to generate the artificial smoke. Most shops have a special machine for this. It isn't a real DIY type of thing.

I do not know what a test like this would cause, but you should be able to call around and ask.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Starting Member
Default hey what the hell is this part NEED TO KNOW TO PASS SMOG

HEY IVE BEEN FAILING SMOG (EVAP PART) REPLACED EVERYTHING STILL FAILED THEN I PUMPED THE GAS TANK FULL OF AIR AND SPRAYED SOAPY WATER OVER EVRYTHING AND SURE ENOUGH AT THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT BY MY CHARCOAL TANK THERE'S THIS HOSE BUBBLING UP LIKE CRAZY COMING STRAIGHT FROM MY FUEL LINE.COULD THIS BE THE TICKET TO SOLVING MY EVAP TEST PROBLEM 78 K5. HERE'S A PICTURE.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Can you take a wider shot? Where does it go? Straight back to the tank? What is on the other side?

I would just plug it and see if you can pass.

I'm moving this back into your other thread. No need to create another thread on the same topic.