Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

carb identifier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default carb identifier?

i have a 74 k5. its the cheyenne edition and it has the 350 in it. i really need help figuring out what carb is in it so i can get a rebuild kit for it. it pools up every time i shut it off. i know it says carter on it and it says quadrajet on it but im not sure if its a rochester or what. i have no experience with identifying these things or even working with them but i will learn soon enough.

thanks to anyone who helps.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Throughout the history of the Quadrajet, Rochester was the main manufacturer, but when demand exceeded the production capabilities, Rochester subcontracted Carter to meet demand. The only difference between the Carter & Rochester is the name cast into the side of the bowl section of the carb.

Check the link below to properly identify the carb:
Rochester Quadrajet Identification - The Carb Doctor

Old 09-10-2011, 01:43 AM

it definatly is a rochester then. do you have any idea what model it is or what rebuild kit i would need to do? i know you did something to yours to make it work better or something like that. mine was totally dirty and i cleaned it up a bit with some carb cleaner. that was about it.

i need some guidance when it comes to this...

Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I can't identify it for you, but the website I linked to has all of the information that you need to get the proper kit.

I have been messing with Rochester Q-jets for over 20 years now. Started young working on our farm trucks and picked up a knack for it. So forgive me if I gloss over anything.

Q-jets are quite complicated, but attention to detail & pictures along the way will help a LOT. There is also a LOT of information on the common repairs out on the 'net too.

One of the first things you should check though is the primary throttle shaft. If it has a bunch of play, you may want to try to find another carb to use. You can install brass bushings in the throttle plate, but this isn't very DIY friendly.

The next thing to check is leaking well plugs on the fuel bowl. They can be resealed and it isn't too bad to do. You would have to remove the original lead plug & thread the hole. Then make a short plug with a slot in the end. Install the short plug using some fuel grade epoxy to seal it all up.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:09 AM

i just found a whole series of videos on youtube rebuilding one. it was the marine version but it seems the same thing. seems easy enough. i already took it off the intake manifold and its sitting in my garage. just looking at it. looks pretty clean inside. i might be able to salvage it.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:19 AM

so back onto here, i rebuilt the carb, got everything hooked up besides the choke (cause it wasnt exactly hooked up when i took it apart so i have no idea how it even goes) it starts up and will run for a little bit but then the engine just gets slower and slower untill it just dies. if i try giving it any gas it will immideatly die.

now if i start it with starting fluid it will run high idle for a little bit. then down to normal and i can even rev the engine up a little. (thing roars with the new headers) but then it will just die down like it did before. also the slider thing that the accelerator pushes into the carb leaks gas like a **** sometimes. not exactly sure what causes it or when it happens i just notice it after i shut the car off or it dies.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Administrator

The overflowing float bowl is likely due to a problem with the float and/or needle valve/seat. Did you set the float level per the instructions in the rebuild kit?

What do you have the adjustment screws set at on the bottom front of the carb? 1.5 turns from fully seated is where I always start as a baseline & most stay there.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM

i think i backed them 3 turns out cause i read somewhere that is where they were supposed to be but i will adjust them to 1.5 later today. and the float was at the right level. i did seem to get stuck though if i where to shove it up there. like the actual part that floats would hit the walls and jam itself in there. but that would only be if it got super full. and im sure the pressure wouldnt be able to jam it in there.

im thinking the thing is overflowing cause maybe there is an o-ring that is supposed to go on the shaft somehwere. there were a couple o-rings that i didnt use that came with the kit cause i didnt remove any that looked like them. maybe ill take the top off again and try to see if any of those o-rings fits to make a seal. otherwise its just that metal plunger against the metal of the top plate. which doesnt seem exactly right...

Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Administrator

There really aren't o-rings to speak of in the carb. There are teflon rings that seal off the needle seat to the carb bowl as well as the inlet/filter retainer to the bowl, but everything else is sealed with a gasket.

Did you check the primary & secondary well plugs on the bottom of the bowl for leaks?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

I'm trying to picture what you're talking about but it's been so long since i've worked on a rochester i'm having trouble. Could you post pictures of your carb identifying the places it's leaking?

Quick Reply: carb identifier?