Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

clunking sound at rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:21 PM
tankie88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: clunking sound at rear

well, i got a quote from a guy here in the UK who breaks M1009's.He qouted me £250 for a diff and £150 for the spur gears and beveled gears.The complete diff swop looks the better option(less work).what do you think?

Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how much that is in US dollars, but if the whole diff is rebuilt, I'd go for that. You have a GM Corp 10 bolt front and rear (8.5" dia. ring gear),front with an open diff and the rear with a Gov-Loc differential. From what I have read about the Gov-Loc diff, they are a major weak point and many have upgraded to an aftermarket posi unit or just open if they don't need the extra traction. The problems I have read about are exactly as you have described and some have even gone through 3 diffs before switching it over to a more conventional (new tech) diff. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get a newer style diff over there to swap inplace of the Gov-Loc. You would need to replace the whole carrier however. Check that out as well. Also, IIRC, you have 28-spline axles.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM

thanks for the info.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:59 PM

£250.00 is about $419 for a second hand diff.What would you recommend as a replacement after market diff.....is there anything made to replace the gogs but using the original carrier?

Old 01-27-2006, 02:36 PM

Hi,What are your thoughts on rippin out the spider gears in the carrier and replacing them with a powertrax lock-right locker??

Old 01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Gov-Loc carrier isn't the same as a conventional open carrier or a normal posi. The case cannot take the aftermarket posi's or lockers. If you wanted to go that route, have your mechanic find you a replacement open diff carrier and then replace the guts with the appropriate aftermarket equipment.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:06 PM

This is begining to get on my nerves....lol.The "so called tech" at summit racing reckons the powertrax fits you reckon it don't.So i won't bother with that idea.It's a long way from the UK to the USA to return something.So what do you suggest i shove in it?? Taking into account limited budget and don't want to be bashing the spanners to much.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

GM 10-bolt 8.5" 28-spline Gov-Loc differential on eBay.com for $75 now with 3 days left. Shipping to the UK may be a killer, but it looks good. I'm not sure if it can hold a standard posi or not. I'm just going by what I have read on some 4x4 forums when searching the internet on your problem.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info,i'll have a look in a moment.Don't get me wrong i wasn't getting at you in any way.It's gettin to be a pain that's all.I think it would be easier to buy a dodo egg..lmao.