Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Confused about which headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM
heatman74 is on a distinguished road
Default Confused about which headers

O.k i have a 89 K5, i am looking into getting some headers.
I have been to summit, Jegs, ebay and what not, and i cannot find any decently priced headers with the Air injection, I want to stay Smog legal.
Can someone please help me find some headers that will be a direct swap from the manifolds.
i found these on Summit SUM-G9015 they said they will work with AIR, but when i look at them they only have a single tube coming out of one pipe, for the Air, but the stock manifold have tubes on all 4 exhaust ports.
question is will these work just a different design?

thanks guys

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose of the AIR (Air Injection Reaction) is to introduce fresh air into the exhaust to increase catalytic converter efficiency. One pipe or four per side, it really shouldn't matter. The AIR pump will still introduce the same amount of fresh air into the exhaust to help the converter work better.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM
heatman74 is on a distinguished road

thanks man.. did you check out those headers over at Summit, if you get a chance i have been looking for damn headers for 3 months now. just want to order the right ones..

also with just one tube will it be easy to hoook up to the pump?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They look like they'll work. The headers should have the necessary connections to accept the stock fitting.