Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny Cooler Lines - Which is Which?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member
ginobass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny Cooler Lines - Which is Which?

96 4x4 auto.

Which is the send (from tranny) and which is the return (back to tranny)? - the line going into the top of the radiator? the bottom?

I'm going to install a B&M Supercooler and the instructions say to put it in line with the return. Of course the Haynes manual doesn't say which is which.

thanks!

Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny Cooler Lines - Which is Which?

The return is the top line.

I'd install it on the sender line, regardless of the instructions. This will prevent overcooling in the winter, and it'll also help keep your engine temperature lower in the summer (reducing the amount of heat transfered from the tranny fluid to the antifreeze in the radiator).

Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The B&M supercooler has a viscosity controlled bypass. It will not overcool the fluid.

I had my cooler installed on the upper line living in Darien Center, then Byron, and now Waterloo so I don't think you'd have any trouble with it in the upper line. It will provide the best cooling possible and with the B&M design, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't realize that... great info!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, another thing worth noting... It is a PAIN to get to the lower line!! If you were to use the lower line, I'd recommend you remove the inner fender to get a better look at it. This will require the removal of the battery, battery tray, PCM, and coolant recovery bottle.

But yeah, the B&M design is very nice. There is a tube that runs side to side at the top near the inlet/outlet. When the fluid is cold, it will stack up and not flow through the narrow passages of the cooling fins, bypassing through the larger cross-over tube. As the fluid warms up and flows easier, its velocity when entering the cooler will push it through the narrow cooling passages and cool it down.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Beginning Member
ginobass is an unknown quantity at this point

Praise the heavens that it's the top line!!! Getting to the bottom one is a major PITA.

I'm going to put it on tonight, I hope. It's very hot here today (90+) and I have to go to Rochester tomorrow. It will be the maiden highway cruise since I put in the new (used) tranny very recently.

swartlkk, I'm from Clarence, familiar with all those town you listed. Upstater greetings!