Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Coolant on Block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coolant on Block?

ok while changin plugs today I noticed a pile on coolant on the block where the thermostat housing is..now could this be a bad thermostat?? I dont see any leaks so I dont kno how it could get on the block..any help???

Old 01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Coolant on Block?

The coolant came from somewhere. Do you have access to a digital camera so we can see a pic of where it is? I think I know, but a picture says a thousand words...

On my Chevelle, I didn't seal up with RTV around the new intake manifold gaskets and I had a coolant leak that seeped out around one of the bolts near the front coolant cross-over. This caused pooling of coolant on the intake manifold like you describe. You may want to pop off the intake and just replace the gaskets to be sure.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:12 PM

ill try to take one with my phone tomorrow..i would now but its dark n i dont got flash...but its mainly around the theromsata housing only not all over..but i went to check it and with my luck the bolt head was broke off....so would anyone know how to get the threads out??

Old 01-21-2007, 10:30 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on how much bolt threads were left after the head broke off you could try to remove the thermostat housing and find some nuts (2) to lock into each other and try to remove it. Some times you might be able to get a pair of locking pliers on the remaing bolt and get it started...but first thing would be to spray the remaining threads with WD-40 or similar product to penetrate any rust that may be holding the bolt from moving...

If you could get a metal saw blade and cut a groove for a screw driver etc...etc...etc...

Make sure that you cover the hole for the thermostat so that you don't contaminate your coolant...

Old 01-21-2007, 10:53 PM

yea the bolt head sheared right off do all the threads are in there..and they are in to deep to use pliers or vicegrips..what about drilling it out??

Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Thought somehow I had missed something about a broken bolt... LOL I read all of the posts on the forums through my email so I don't get edits that people make.

Anyway, yes, you can drill it out. If you cannot get it out using vise grips, I would recommend cutting it off flush with the top of the gasket surface, center punch the center of the bolt, then use the appropriate drill bit for an easy-out bolt extractor. If that doesn't work, you could go larger, or go all the way and put in a heli-coil.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevyguy032

yea the bolt head sheared right off do all the threads are in there..and they are in to deep to use pliers or vicegrips..what about drilling it out??
you could find a drill and easy out setup at either Lowe's or homedepot...the easy out is a tapered reverse twist item so that after you get a hole deep enough to get a grip with it you can just unscrew it from its location but remember to use penetrating lubricant....will help to loosen any rust on the threads...also make sure that the drill is not to big so that you end up having to drill out the hole to the next size larger bolt and re-thread for the newer size...

Old 01-22-2007, 12:03 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you might have to invest in a set of easy outs (bolt extractors)

Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 AM

what exactly is a Heli Coil??

Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Heli coils are basically replacement threads for bolts.
http://www.emhart.com/products/helic...FRZlggodcFKLVw

Quick Reply: Coolant on Block?