Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Dash Controllers Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Controllers Questions...

Now That the truck is up and running again (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/pinion-assembly-39626/) and (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/axle-opinion-34521/)
I got some question about several problems i have.

1. there's no light inside the vehicle, not in the one above the driver's head and not in the back.
I checked them both and there's no voltage in either of them. So i don't know what else to check, fuses are fine of course. and i didn't modified anything.

2. the road lights are working fine, but i "caught" them switching off in a middle of a drive with no reason, happened only three times, but in all three the lights switched off and turned back on again for several times before they came to a complete shut down, and when i pull over to check it put they come back to life. very strange.

3. when i turn on the high lights they won't switch on, i need to play with the switch for a few times in order to turn them on.

for those three problems i came to a conclusion that i need to get the lights controller onto the working table.
The problem is that i have no idea how to remove it, unless you guys have any better ideas.

and last but not least, my wipers works at a single rhythm, no matter what i tune the stick to, they always works at the same steady pace. where, once again, i came to a conclusion that i need to have that stick on my desk, and the same problem here - i have no idea how to do so. any ideas or other solutions will be appreciated

thanks in advance, and sorry for the multi questions, i didn't wanted to open a bunch of new threads

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Starting Member

no one knows how to remove the steering colum and the lights controller off the dash?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your interior light problem is likely caused by faulty door switches.

Your headlight problem could be as simple as a broken wire or faulty ground.

As always, it would help greatly if you would include even the most basic information about your truck in your post rather than make people open up and read a completely unrelated thread to find it.

Also, you may be surprised at what you can find in a good repair manual. They are well worth the investment.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

To remove the light switch. There is like a little button on the side of it under the dash. You have to push that button then pull the **** part out. Then you have to unscrew the bolt on the shaft. Think its like right in front of you then pull it out towards the back. If your brights arent working that is seperate and that switch is on the steering column itself. The interior lights not working is usually due to a broken wire under the carpet. Should be a orange and white wire that comes from the fuse box. You can check those wires. If you have power going to those and not at the lights the wire broke

Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

For the wiper problem, I had the same thing happen. Check the ground on the wiper motor, it's a piece of metal connected to the bottom-left bolt holding the motor. Make sure the bolt is tight, it tends to come loose sometimes.
P.S. Don't overtighten the bolt as it will snap off, trust me

Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Starting Member

swartlkk, I'll try to give more info next time I'll open a thread. i'll keep that in mind.
user manual is impossible to get in Israel. i think there's about 200 k5's in the country so manuals are rare, believe me i tried...
for the rest of the answers, I'll work on the stuff you guys wrote me down on the weekend and I'll keep up updated.

Thanks so much, yarin

Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

eBay is a wonderful thing:
1990 R/V Suburban Blazer Chevy Truck Van Service Manual - $29.99_+s&h
1990 Chevrolet Chevy R V P Models Service Manual Electr - $17.95 +s&h

Just as an example. That seller even has international shipping as an option. I searched for "1990 R/V manual" which details the Vans, Suburbans, and the K5 Blazer.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Starting Member

when you're right you're right, i won't argue. haven't even thought of that option.

thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I had to pick up the manuals for my '90 suburban parts truck not too long ago. I found a few of them at a swap meet for $5/each, but even those prices listed above are cheap. Why bother with the Haynes, Chilton's, etc one size fits all manuals when you can get the real deal!

And it isn't about being right, its about getting you the tools and information! Also be aware that there is a unit repair manual as well. Three manuals in total (wiring, service, and unit repair) to completely detail you truck. You can also find the parts illustration & number books if you are lucky (I have one for '73-'78).

*EDIT* - Actually, I just picked up the actual 90 service and electrical manuals (I previously had an 88 service manual and a 91 electrical manual) for $25 all told, delivered! Glad I looked into it!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Beginning Member
Hooligan is on a distinguished road

My wipers work, and at different speeds, but I CAN'T turn them off. ?? What would cause this/how do I fix it? I just pulled the fuse for now

For your interior lights, definitely check for a broken wire on the driver side (under carpet if you have it). My orange one was broken, causing the overhead light not to work.