Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

in desperate need of help tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member
boondoggle is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking @ first. My transmission dipstick keeps getting rusty up towards the top 12 inches or so. Started doing this just last year. I had read that might be a symptom of coolant leaking into the transmission fluid. But I took it to the mech today and they found the leak, or let's just say A leak. The freeze plug behind my starter is leaking. I was going maybe 20-40 miles and come back home and my overflow would be almost empty. Picked up the parts for that today. The transmission issue seems to be be getting worse though, just in a couple of days. Not really the jumping into second part, but more so the slippage while in first. I'm just trying to figure why it would happen so quickly. Maybe some of it has to do with the weather being so cold the last few days here? I never really noticed any transmission fluid in the coolant or vice versa and the mechanics checked and smelled the tranny fluid and said basically they wouldn't change it out if they were me. I guess I'll just fix the coolant leak and throw some Lucas Transmission Fix in there and go from there.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:08 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scott240
I took it to tranny shop they put it on computer and came back with it not showing anything. They told me that its probaly got a broken accumulator spring. I wasn't gonna have them fix it I just wanted to know what it was so I could fix it. I got home and pulled pan and spring but spring was fine and the piston wasn't stuck. I pulled out 1-2 shift spring to look just invade and it was fine. I couldn't figure it out so I put some tranny fix in it but that did nothing. It still does same thing I just give light throttle until it shifts into 2nd then give normal throttle. I figure I will drive it like this until tranny stops together then replace it. Tranny shop took it for test drive and said it should be fine to drive. I am not gonna spend hundreds of dollars to figure what is wrong when it would cost hundreds to fix. So might as well drive it to the ground and just do a rebuild
just curious, what color was the 1-2 spring?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member
boondoggle is on a distinguished road

After doing some reading overnight, several people with this same sort of problem with the 4L60-E have fixed the problem by changing the spark plugs or the TPS. Something to do with the signal to/from the sensors. I just happen to have an extra TPS and will change it out when DW gets back here in a little bit. Seems doing errands is more important than trying to get this transmission mystery figured out. I'm thinking we should have the same transmission, that I can tell. Least, that's what I gather from what Wikipedia reports on the 4L60-E. Anyhow, I'll report back later if the TPS makes any difference...

Don't know if anyone is still reading this or not, but I did change out the TPS with a used one off a spare plenum I have. I took it out for a test drive and started out about 20 times so far. I haven't had the problem reoccur yet. Won't know for sure until I drive it around for a week or two. But I can say without a doubt that the jerk shifting from 1-2 is definitely GONE right now. I tested it out with hard starts, smooth starts, on an incline, etc. I kept waiting for that all familiar jerk from 1-2 and it just never happened. Will report back here either way it goes.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-16-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Beginning Member
scott240 is on a distinguished road

I believe it was yellow. Go to youtube and search for 4l60e valve body rebuild and there are a few videos explaining everything about the valve body. It will show you what makes everything shift it helped me out. There are vidoes showing how to flush complete tranny including the torque convertor and save you some cash all it will cost you is a bucket and a hose. And how to get valve body out if needed. Youtube is your friend.

i didn't read your.last.post until I posted my email.is.a little slow. I have read about the tps but never tried it I figured it couldn't be that easy with my luck. I am very interested in the results with a new tps so please give an update. So if you did fix it I would check how to flush your tranny. It looks super easy and should save you some cash then throw in some tranny fix to maybe repair any damage that may have happened while driving with shifting problem. That is what I will do. I have called around to see how much for a rebuild and just to have it rebuilt after you pull it out will cost $1300 to $1600. I did see an add on craigslist claiming they will rebuild it for $850 and that is for a rebuild, shift kit, and hd torque convertor. So I will try to do.whatever I can to extend the life of my tranny because I have pulled the tranny out of my dodge 3 times and it sucked bad everytime and that has a body lift so it's easy to get to the top bolts on the tranny, I have read that its not fun getting to the top bolts on this tranny

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-16-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM

I believe it was yellow. Go to youtube and search for 4l60e valve body rebuild and there are a few videos explaining everything about the valve body. It will show you what makes everything shift it helped me out. There are vidoes showing how to flush complete tranny including the torque convertor and save you some cash all it will cost you is a bucket and a hose. And how to get valve body out if needed. Youtube is your friend.
the reason i asked for the spring color is because it may have a different color spring than a stock spring and the spring rate is differnet when the color is different. they are identified by color. so it may have a shift kit in it from a previous owner which causes your firm 1-2 shifting. also can you post all the youtube links that you presonally viewed? especially the one showing how to flush your complete tranny including your torque convertor with the bucket and hose? and also the other videos you viewed. thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member

I can't post videos because I can't get internet where I live only dial up so I use my droid x for my internet needs. I went to youtube and did a search for "how to flush tranny" the video at the top "10 min atomatic transmission fluid flush + replacement" and yes it is not spelled right. That video is the one I was talking about. For the valvebody videos search for "4l60e valvebody rebuild" and there are a few videos explaining what.everything is, good for figurin out electronics. The videos by boxwrench are corny but are the best ones to watch.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Beginning Member

Hey boondoggle did a new tps do the trick. Mine is still doing its weird shifting thing and just today my wife was driving it on the freeway when she said there was a loud pop (im thinking intake backfire)and then no power. But when I showed up and started it there was no problem, so I am thinking maybe it is the tps and now its messing with the engine well that's my guess. Just wondering if your truck is still shifting fine then I will go buy a tps

Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 AM

Hey boondoggle did a new tps do the trick. Mine is still doing its weird shifting thing and just today my wife was driving it on the freeway when she said there was a loud pop (im thinking intake backfire)and then no power. But when I showed up and started it there was no problem, so I am thinking maybe it is the tps and now its messing with the engine well that's my guess. Just wondering if your truck is still shifting fine then I will go buy a tps
you can test your TPS sensor. hook up a scanner under your dash and watch the data for a linear reading....and then check the TPS with the truck running and at full temperature, and make sure it has a linear reading.... if its not linear, and all over the place, then the tps is bad....

Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks bigdaddy but I have no scanner and for the price of taking my blazer to the shop to have this done it will be cheaper to just buy a tps. Unless there is another way to check it I might just go ahead and replace it. Just with what I have explained what would you do? Would you just replace it, does it sound like the tps? Its $32 for a tps

Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks bigdaddy but I have no scanner and for the price of taking my blazer to the shop to have this done it will be cheaper to just buy a tps. Unless there is another way to check it I might just go ahead and replace it. Just with what I have explained what would you do? Would you just replace it, does it sound like the tps? Its $32 for a tps
i would first go to autozone or advance auto parts and have it scanned for free....they don't charge for scanning....then u kno for sure....

Quick Reply: in desperate need of help tranny problem