Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

fuel filter

Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel filter

hey guys i'm doin an oil change probably this weekend when i change the thermostat and i thought about the fuel filter. i have 209.5k miles on my blazer. we've had it for at least 40k miles off the top of my head. to my knowledge the fuel filter has never been changed. should it be? also where is it and how do i change it?
any help will be appreciated.
thank you

Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: fuel filter

Yea I would change it after that many miles. You can pick a new one up at Wal Mart for a little more then $9. The fuel filter is under your blazer behind the drivers door on the frame rail. Be sure to release the fuel pressue valve so you dont have gas spraying out when you un clamp the lines to the fuel filter.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Starting Member

ok first of all thanks you.
secondly are the lines fragile, or can i mess them up without knowing it? can i comfortably do this in one day? and where is the fuel pressure valve?
im planning on doing this sunday because i have a jrotc drill meet all day saturday so i cant afford to not finish.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

They can be, Mine were on my 92, one snapped off and I have been unable to locate a tank to filter line for it. Just spray the fitting well with a penetrating oil, and make sure the wrenches fit snug so they dont round off the fitting.

I havnt seen a "pressure valve" for mine but I have a TBI and I think the release valves were for CPI and TPI injection, I could be wrong though.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
nate2003456 is an unknown quantity at this point

on my 94 there is a pressure valve fight infront of the drivers seat in the engine caparment it has a black top to it i just push the valve down with a screw driver or i just loosen my fuel filter and go find some thing else to do for 5 mins. i have heard of people just finding there fuel pump fuse and pulling that and cranking the engine.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are changing it on the 91, there is no release, but you are only dealing with about 15 psi. I use a 5/8" line wrench for the line and a 20mm wrench to hold the filter. If it is really rusty use a good penntrating oil first and let it soak, don't use WD40, that is a great cleaner but not a penetrating oil. I like PB Blaster myself, but there are others. Also if you can at least break loose one nut on the line, but not the other that is okay, just spin the filter to get it off the line. You only need to get one fitting to spin on the line to make this work. Good luck with the exchange. Korey.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, a little trick that i've done for years is to apply a lite coating of anti-seize compound to the threads before installing the new filter, I changethe fuel filter once a year, it takes all of 15 minutes...

Old 02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Starting Member

thanks a lot yall. i'll let you know if i have any problems sunday.
thanks again

Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Starting Member

ok i got the oil changed no problem, and the thermostat was interesting, the block end of the hose wasn't down far enough (by like 1 micron) so it was leaking coolant all day. i put in 1.5 liters (bottles) of water and the radiator was still low so kind of a problem but i fixed it just had to let it cool down. my temp guage works now so that tells me that since it hasnt worked the whole time we've had it the t-stat has been broken the entire time. wow. the heat works really good too. but my dad decided for me that i am going to wait on the fuel filter until we can fix it if anything breaks.
thanks again for the advice.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 AM
ma96782 is an unknown quantity at this point

What ever happened to changing fuel filters every 12K or 12 months?

General Instructions:
Get under there and take a look, spray the nuts (PB Blaster)while you're there.....go to store and get a replacement filter. When you get home, turn off motor, open gas cap to vent, let her sit couple hours (bleed off pressure from the lines).......have some rags, fire extinguisher and catch can near and wear eye protection..........then, proceed to remove old and replace w/ new. You may need to use a fuel nut wrench and a backer wrench....or risk.....twisting the line.

If you got quick disconnect fuel lines........you got another set of problems.........you'll need the special wrench or those plastic "fingers."

Aloha, Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel filter