Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That view of the knuckles doesn't show enough to tell either way. The major differences are in the outer knuckles which you cannot see in that picture.

Did you look at the pictures I provided? Reason I ask is because they definitively show that it is NOT a Dana 44. Dana 44's don't have the ears off the bottom of the center section, the covers are much narrower, and the spot weld holes are MUCH more pronounced. It is a Corp 10-bolt.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

no, my work computer is dumb and blocks sum pics so i cant see them, my bad. im running dana running gear under my s10 so the view i saw looked the same.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Attached below for your convenience.
Dana 44 from the front of my '74:
Gears-p1010177.jpg
Corp 10-bolt donor axle:
Gears-10b_8lug_03.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Gears-p1010177.jpg   Gears-10b_8lug_03.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Starting Member
Dano01 is on a distinguished road

If the front is a dana what is the back

Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator

The front is NOT a Dana 44. Both are GM Corp 10-bolts. Look at the pictures and decide for yourself. It is quite evident.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Starting Member

so do i jst need to get 10 bolt GM Corp 3:73 axles

Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Administrator

If you can find a decent set of used axles with the ratio you are looking for, it is easier to bolt in complete axles than it is to swap gears. It can end up costing you more than a gear swap though.

If you don't know how to setup gears, I wouldn't recommend doing it without first getting someone that has done it before to give you a hand. If setup incorrectly, you could waste all of the time & money you spent installing everything & buying the gears real quickly.

Some specialized tools (pinion depth tools, dial indicator, etc) make it easier, but aren't absolutely required. Taking the old bearings and using them to make setup bearings by enlarging the bore in the bearing so that it slips onto the new pinion will allow for easy assembly/disassembly while you work to get the gear tooth pattern corrected.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Starting Member

i am looking for axles first

Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

both of them sure look exactly like mine and mine are dana 44s front and rear. but im no expert by any means, id find the codes on the axles and google them to be certain. thats what i did so i know what mine are. it would suck to buy stuff for the wrong axle and be out money and a rig. my brothers corporate 10 bolt looks exactly like urs Dano01, and the rear axle of swartlkk looks like my dana 44 rear. good luck

Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator

The pictures I provided are front axles, not rears. My '74 has the GM Corp 12-bolt rear currently so it wouldn't provide any help in this thread.

As the pictures confirm, it is a Corp 10-bolt which was all that GM offered from the factory for that year. Google 'GM Axle Identification' for further confirmation if you must, but I am positive that it is a Corp 10-bolt.

Quick Reply: Gears