Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Help--Engine wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Starting Member
Dano01 is on a distinguished road
Default Help--Engine wont start

I replaced my engine with a sbc in my 1990 GMC Jimmy. I got everything hooked up and checked timing twice with the chain and distributor and verifed that it was pointing to cylinder one. I need to get it started i was wondering if anybody would have an idea why it wont start.

There is fuel comeing up to the TBI. It try's to start but it just wont start. I replaced the eblock with a rebuilt block.

i put in new ACdelco spark plugs and Bosch wires. I put in a new ignigion module. I am not sure where to look next.

I will apprecaite all the help i can.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Starting Member
Maestro is on a distinguished road

check your grounds....ive had alot of issues with em and that usually fixes it for me...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Maestro
check your grounds....ive had alot of issues with em and that usually fixes it for me...

Which rounds are you referring to. I have the one on the front of the block ar their other I need to check. I am just trying to get an idea where they are at so I can check them.

Thanks

I for to mention the the dots for the timing chained are lined up with each other and the distributor is facing the #1 cylinder. We checked for compression at the #1 cyclinder and there was no compression. What could be the problem. Please help.

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-14-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
Maestro is on a distinguished road

well all of them really...cause even one missed ground can mess up ur whole truck....check the one that grounds to the body

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member
steves88 is on a distinguished road

I once put a distributor in 180 deg. off. Pulled it out and rotated the engine again re-installed and she fired right up. I didn't have the tdc of the compression stroke I had it on the exhaust stroke. Check and re-check. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Starting Member

Update. We realigned the dots on the crank and cam. Put it all back to gether got to TDC. We rotated the distributor 180 degrees. We have fuel and spark and we get backfire. But wont fire. What else could be the problem? We also have compression.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Beginning Member
steves88 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if maybe you need to rotate the distributor more. Have you tried turning it in very small increments and then try to start? When dropping the distributor in you have to be lined up with number one when the dist. is seated against the manifold. So you have to start a little off number one because of the gears. Does that make sense? Theres a few vids on you tube you can check out. I'll try to find one.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Starting Member

thanks we have tried to turn while starting. we think we are off a tooth or so. it is raining here and I have to work outside. Hopefully i can get to it tomorrow

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Stolen Blazer is on a distinguished road

try the oil pressure switch that was my problem.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Stolen Blazer
try the oil pressure switch that was my problem.

I just put a new one in when I replaced the engine.

Quick Reply: Help--Engine wont start