Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Idle Acceleration? Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member
BrokenTruck16 is on a distinguished road
Default Idle Acceleration? Wtf?

Ok so Here's a new one. I had moved my truck this morning to get a paint job done on it. I get back in to drive it back and when it starts up, it acted like i had the pedal to the metal. so i pumped it (thinking it was stuck,which it wasnt). rpms increased and what-not. but kept increasing and I thought i was going to blow my engine, so i turned it off. I started it again after a minute, and same problem.

I got out and checked if my throttle was stuck or something, and it wasnt. I pulled the spring tighter, too. just for ****s and giggles, and nothing. Now, I try to start and it sputters and dies. when i take the air filter off and spray starter fluid in, it starts up again and idles at like 345r83485rpm's.?? I dont get it, then i turn it off, put the air filter back on, and it wont start again, just sputter and dies.

I tapped the carb with a hammer to maybe nock some stuff lose incase something was stuck.. (a buddy/mechanic suggested). I get nothing. can somebody please give me some ideas? Prior Thanks for thoughts and suggestions!

1980 K5 Blazer. 350ci engine, 700r4 tranny, edelbrock carb

Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BrokenTruck16
Ok so Here's a new one. I had moved my truck this morning to get a paint job done on it. I get back in to drive it back and when it starts up, it acted like i had the pedal to the metal. so i pumped it (thinking it was stuck,which it wasnt). rpms increased and what-not. but kept increasing and I thought i was going to blow my engine, so i turned it off. I started it again after a minute, and same problem.

I got out and checked if my throttle was stuck or something, and it wasnt. I pulled the spring tighter, too. just for ****s and giggles, and nothing. Now, I try to start and it sputters and dies. when i take the air filter off and spray starter fluid in, it starts up again and idles at like 345r83485rpm's.?? I dont get it, then i turn it off, put the air filter back on, and it wont start again, just sputter and dies.

I tapped the carb with a hammer to maybe nock some stuff lose incase something was stuck.. (a buddy/mechanic suggested). I get nothing. can somebody please give me some ideas? Prior Thanks for thoughts and suggestions!

1980 K5 Blazer. 350ci engine, 700r4 tranny, edelbrock carb

what is that rpms????

you have a broken return spring i believe.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Beginning Member

Well, I think you're talking about the one that pulls when you press the pedal? That was the first thing i checked. It seems to be fine, its fairly new and not stretched out. Still tight... I checked to make sure it pulls when i press the pedal and returns back to normal. I'm not sure of the RPM's, I don't have a gauge at the moment, However I can tell you they're very high, it doesn't stop accelerating until its at its max and i shut it off, ha. : (

Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't take much of a throttle opening to cause the engine to race to red line when in park or neutral.

I would remove the carb and give it a good cleaning, possibly a rebuild.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
Deatherage is on a distinguished road

When I installed my Edelbrock Performer 650 with electric choke, the choke was dangerously high..I got the same thing and thought I was going to blow my engine too.. if you have electric choke....try unplugging it....pump the pedal and restart.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member

Hey so i got home on lunch and was helping a friend with their truck, and when i got done i thought to try n start it to see if anything changed, just by chance it started up and didnt go crazy-like, I drove it to work and back fine no issues.. I dont know what happened, I didn't even touch it since last night when i slammed a hammer into my tailgate. . . . ahem, so..

Solution; Wait a day!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

they fix themselves. like a rock