Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

idleing down, stops running.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default idleing down, stops running.

this is the final straw in a set of odd problems.
When i start my truck it runs for about 10 seconds then dies. if i hold my foot on the gas just a little for about 30 seconds it will stay running but the idle is rough and inconsistant. My check engine is on so i plan on putting an OBD1 decoder on it but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.
Thanks.
89 K5. 350 stock. 4x4

Old 04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: idleing down, stops running.

Just to throw this out there, when was the last time you did a full tune up? Plugs, wires, cap & rotor?

If recent, then it sounds like there may be a problem with the EGR system or a vacuum leak...

Old 04-08-2007, 10:27 PM

tune up was pretty recent.
this all started when instead of idleing down it would idle very high and was so high i didnt dare put it into gear so it hasnt seen much road time recently.
ive thought of a vacuum leak as well but i dont know where it would have come from. i parked it a few months ago and havent touched since and it ran fine then so i dont understand.
thanks.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of vacuum leaks originate at the throttle body gasket. I'd take an unlit propane torch and direct it around the base of the throttle body and around any other areas that may be suspect for leaks. If the RPMs rise, then you've found your leak.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 PM

ok cool ill give it a try Thanks.
only one question though. i dont know if the trruck has a sensor for the vacuum pressure and the check engine light is on and wasnt until now.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 PM

well this whole things went from bad to worse. i got an OBD1 decoder and a propane torch and was headed out to try a few suggestions out. now the truck doesnt even start so im very stuck.
im not quite sure where to start, this came up out of no where.
any suggestions? besides the fuel pump ive already thought of that one hehe
Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
throttlesteer is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be as simple as a dead battery/alternator. Have you tried testing either of those yet? If you don't have a battery charger take your battery into Advance Auto Parts and they'll charge it and test it for you at the same time. Give that a try and see if it helps at all.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 PM

the battery was replaced about a month ago. as far as the alternater goes, it puts out a steady 14 amps. it rattles and makes some odd noices but as far as i can tell its working.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your battery terminals. Make sure they aren't corroded. Does it roll over? If it is rolling over and not firing. listen to see if you hear the fuel pump turning on when you turn the key on. If you here it turning on then it isn't your fuel pump.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM

it does roll over, or it did. the battery is dead now thanks to trying to start it. the terminals are nice and clean.and the fuel pump does make the same noise it always has when i turn the key to the on position.

Quick Reply: idleing down, stops running.