Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Injection convesrion

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 AM
pitouras is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Injection convesrion

Hallo,
Do you know which is the best carburator to injection conversion kit available?
thank you in advance
John

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Default RE: Injection convesrion

i have the 1984 K5 blazer 350 engine

Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are your expectations? Do you offroad and want to be able to handle some higher angle stuff where fuel would run away from the jets in a carb? Looking for better performance?

By far the most economical route to go is grab an entire TBI setup off of a newer truck (wiring, ECU, intake, throttle body, fuel lines, maybe fuel pump, etc). Cost and complexity goes up from there.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Basically i do offroad a bit...but the main reason is that injection system is more easy to drive arround...no cold weather issues and etc..
but from what i see its expensive (holey,ederblock)

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend trying to find a TBI truck in the junkyard to snag parts off of. You should be able to grab parts off of any truck from 89 to 95 or 96 (IIRC) so long as it is a TBI motor that has the same intake bolt pattern and orientation as yours (ie not a vortec headed motor). Get all of the parts that I listed above, but try to make sure that you have access to the truck all the way through the end of the conversion for miscellaneous parts that you may forget or find out later that you need.

Fuel is not too much of a concern, but I am not sure if you can use your stock mechanical pump. Aftermarket electric pumps with regulators would probably be the best way to go.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member
DdayK5 is an unknown quantity at this point

The junk yard is more then likly the best way, but you also have to consider the exhaust system as well. I don't know what you've done to the exhust but I didn't have a place for an O2 sensor until I purchased shorty headers. The conversions that I found were complete kits offering Multiport injection averaging $2000. The best thing I found for the cold was a manual controled chock.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

O2 sensors are simple to add. You can get a weld on O2 sensor bung for cheap and have an exhaust shop put it in for you if you do not already know someone with a welder. By far the cheapest route is the junkyard. Heck, you could probably find a rotted out pickup that someone will practically give you so long as you haul it out of their back yard. There are a few of those around me.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
DdayK5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasjust encouraging that they may want the exhaust manifold as well as the intake. I didn't know of the weld on O2 idea, that may be easier then transfering an exhast manifold.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 PM
killer_illusions is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know how I would go the other way around??? I just put an older motor in my '89 fullsize and want to run my holley carb on it but runs real rough which it didn't do in my el camino I think it might be because the computer is controling the distibutor how do I get around that???