Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

K5 Pitfalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Starting Member
jplug2007 is on a distinguished road
Default K5 Pitfalls

Hi Everyone,
I put my first post up yesterday and I'm in Upstate NY Adirondacks. I have built Jeeps and Broncos for serious off roading but now I want to do a K-5. I'm going to do it stock with maybe 2" of lift and I know I want a 350. I figure the place to start is what NOT to start with as far as model years. I don't want to do a 70's because they are a tad more expensive than I want. But something in the 80's, so are there any 80's models that I should run away from. I plan on using it as a daily driver for the most part. I would like something with some features (ie: power everything) or basically a nice trim package. So after all that are there any specific years, trim packages, etc to stay away from. I will be asking about which models I want and why in my next post. Appreciate any opinions, want to start with a good, dependable platform.

Thanks
Curt
jplug2007

Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

honestly they are pretty much all the same. i really dont think there was any lemon years. around 87 i believe is when they put in the TBI (fuel injection) so if you want fuel injection over a carb look for a late 80s one. the biggest issue ive had with these trucks is they rot really bad, grab one from down south if you can i got sick of having to build a new truck every 2 years due to it falling apart.

you will find that the k5 will probably be the most simplistic vehicle to work on period. theres really nothing you cant fix on it with hand tools in your garage to be honest with you they are even easier then the 80s ford broncos. had one of those at my old job as the plow truck

Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

While you are looking for a cheap blazer also keep your eyes open for late older Chevy 3/4 and heavier trucks. The axles will swap in easily, if you get a Blazer with 10 bolts then the 12bolt/D44 combo is a nice swap. Even the 1 ton running gear goes in easily, just need to replace the steering linkage. Stay away from later models with IFS.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

87-91 K5's. Fuel injected motors, more power options, newer styling. The engines are bulletproof. Just watch out for rot, these things rust like you wouldn't believe.