Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

looking at a '78 k5

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member
jdecker94 is on a distinguished road
Default looking at a '78 k5

so recently ive been looking at a '78 k5 blazer. its pretty nice. has some bubbling above the wheel wells, a few small dents. and he said it has the usual blazer body. is there anything i should be on the lookout for if i go to look at it? its got a newer 350 crate engine, supposed rebuilt tranny and rear end. now i wont believe anything unless i see receipts, but if it runs and drives id suppose its worth the 1000 asking price alone. also its sitting on 31 10.50 15 tires and american racing rims, which look pretty nice =D

Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

for that cheap the body could probably have holes in it. but as far as k5s are concerned. open the tailgate, make sure the floor isnt rotted off and the hinges move. and also the frames crack where the steering gear box bolts to it. not really that big of a deal they sell repair kits for it. other then that, if it starts runs and moves have at it

Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Beginning Member

ok so it looks like ill have the money tomorrow, ill look at it Thursday. i went and got an extendable magnet to do a bondo check, a little scare tactic i use on everything. im really pumped to get my own vehicle and not have to ask my parents before using there's, which really sucks.

Attached Thumbnails looking at a '78 k5-round-2-110.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member

ok well im going to look at it friday. the speedometer, tach and odometer dont work. hopefully i can get it home without a run in with the law. anyone know what the possible cause of all 3 not working might be?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On a 78, the speedometer & odometer are both driven by a twist cable that mechanically links the speedo output from the t-case to the back of the cluster.

The tach is electronic & should have a wire connected to the distributor (assuming HEI).

Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member

ok, since theres a tach on it and working, just a clip on one below the steering wheel that wont be priority necessarily. so if i get it ill start with a new twist cable. hopefully nothing will be wrong with the transfer case.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Before you buy a new cable, pull the speedo gear from the transfer case & inspect it. They are typically plastic & can wear out.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member

ok. is that a difficult thing to do?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Here's some shots of the speedo gear from the NP203 in my '74. It was metal, but newer ones may not be.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

Oh so i dont even have to rip anything apart. ok i see now. i thought id have to rip the whole thing apart. thanks for the help. if i do buy it, im alot more confident now that i could fix the speedometer.

Quick Reply: looking at a '78 k5