Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

manual choke good idea?on my 78

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road

hey i got a 78 k5 dosnt start withouht starter fluid so i figured out the choke dosnt close i held it closed and fired right up so i figured id put one of the 8.99 manual chokes in is that a good idea ?

oh yeh what years are interchangable for a 78k5

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-18-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

do you have to leave the choke on to keep it running?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a thermal or electric choke on there now?

You could go manual, but why? Fix what's there and go with it. The thermal choke on my K5 works great.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Do you have a thermal or electric choke on there now?

You could go manual, but why? Fix what's there and go with it. The thermal choke on my K5 works great.
thermal? i've seen electric and manual.

i agree with trying to fix what you have or going aftermarket if you got the coinage.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
thermal? i've seen electric and manual.
Well if you haven't seen it, it must not exist...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Well if you haven't seen it, it must not exist...

im not contradicting you kyle, im just saying im curious

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road

my choke just flops around it dosnt even seem like its connected t anything as soon as you start it and let go it runs fine all day

Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Look on the passenger side of the carb. There should either be a large electric choke can or an arm that extends down into a little tin cover located on the intake manifold.

If you have the arm that extends down towards the intake manifold, this would be the automatic thermal choke setup. The cover just pulls straight up. The arm should go into a loop on the end of a coil. It could be that the arm is disconnected at the coil or the coil could be broken. Or, all of this could be missing entirely.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned

sounds like almost a linkage issue, something isn't connected right

Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
sounds like almost a linkage issue, something isn't connected right
Captain Obvious right on schedule!

Quick Reply: manual choke good idea?on my 78