Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

NBS Blazer Rear Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Beginning Member
baller979 is on a distinguished road
Default NBS Blazer Rear Window Problem

Hi I have a 1993 full size blazer and I'm also having problems with the rear hatch. First the rear hatch has an actuator. The actuator makes noise and I've taken apart the rear and confirmed the linkage to the door and motor is attached. But the problem lies when you hit the button the window will not open unless someone is pulling on the glass while the button is pressed. This problem is driving me crazy. I would like to add that I have replaced both window struts which lessen the pulling force required to open the glass. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to a new thread of your own* - You can post new threads by using the button found in the forum section you wish to post in.

The window's typically 'pop' out due to the compression of the rear window gasket. If the window does not 'pop' out of the latch, you could have one of two things occurring. #1 - the latch could simply be out of adjustment. #2 - the gasket could have lost it's ability to rebound due to age.

The first option is relatively easy to correct, but would require the removal of the interior trim to get at the adjusting screws/nuts for the latch.

The second option would require the replacement of the gasket if this were the source of the problem.

I would try adjusting the latch in first to see if that restores the tension in the latch allowing the window to 'pop' open when the latch is triggered.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

Great thanks for the reply. I will try adjusting the latch as soon as I get home. I will reply with updates and any potential question. I must say that this forum has a ton of information that has helped me with little quirks that I had to iron out. After that I love my truck. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member

Update: tried readjusting the latch. So far a no go. Set the latch all the way in the window wouldn't latch. Then I tried moving it up mm by mm to get a sweet spot also didn't work. So I will be ordering new seals like you suggested. Upon inspecting the seals I notice they were kind of flat instead of roundish. Other than LMC where would be a good place to pick up new seals for the rear window.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member

Update: problem solved as Swartlkk suggested changing rear window seal made the hatch release. IMO I think just replaceing the drop down hatch seal would've done the trick but I replaced all seals so I don't have to worry about it later. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it worked for you!

To keep those seals & all the other seals on my vehicles in good condition, I apply spray silicone to all of them on my vehicles at every oil change. Don't get it on your seats though.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member

Great tip I will be doing the same to all seals for now on. I brought a can of silcone spray after reading a thread on squealing windows. Applied it to the seals and that finished the piggies off. I spay this on anything that squeaks and squeals and it stops. I love this stuff. Again thanks for everything.