Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

New Tires, Highway Concern

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM
mafiaboy01 is on a distinguished road
Question New Tires, Highway Concern

Hi, I am the proud owner of an 87 K5 Blazer(6.2) 4x4. I currently got new tires(not on the car yet) and have a few concerns. I know it is gonna mess up the speedometer a little bit but that is not a major concern.

The problem is that I am planing to drive it to New Jersey from Toronto Ontario in late October and have a concern. I have read that many people(including myself) have problem maintaining a constant speed on the highway. I don't experience as much troubles as others but it may down shift now and then.

I am worried that with the bigger tires this problem will intesify and I will not be able to keep a good 100-120 km/h speed in OD. I was wondering if this is a problem and what are the things that can be done to the truck to make it run nicer on the highway.

As of now I have no problems getting up to speed on the highway and need to give about 1/4 to 1/2 gas to keep the car running and the right speed.

Thanks

Phil

Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you were having trouble maintaining speed with smaller tires, it will likely get worse with larger tires. You have two options, make your motor stronger, or change the gears.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
mafiaboy01 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response. Well making the motor stronger is kinda out of the quesiton since the only way would be to add a turbo(to much money). Now when you say change the gears do you mean in the transition or in the differential?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can hop up a diesel without adding a turbo. It is just harder and almost as expensive as a turbo kit.

As for gears, I was speaking of the differentials.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road