Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Any concern with torsion bar when changing ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member
tjmicsak is on a distinguished road
Default Any concern with torsion bar when changing ball joints?

I already found this thread
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...acement-27627/
and am planning to replace my 2000 4door blazer ball joints. One has a broken Zerk, even though I just had them installed a little over a year ago- moogs.
That one -lower passender side, is creaking like an old bed spring when I pull up and push down on the fender well.

So my only concern is torsion on the arms that the ***** attach and will be removed from.
I've already done my wheel hubs and as the Ball replacemnts are already bolted I will hopefully have an easy go at it, but just concerend about the torsion bar having anything to do with the work.....

Last edited by tjmicsak; 03-19-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i myself never even touch the torsion bars when i do ball joints...the lower arm will have some resistance because of them...but nothing that ever stopped me.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks,
I just wasn't sure of there was a stop on the upper arm so the lower one would spring down or if the stop was on the lower and it bottomed out once lifted.

I went to grease the one squeeky joint to see if that would quiet it down and I could maybe then check the wear play on it. I found the other three had zerks but this one did not. Maybe I'll rty to take the allen cap out and get a zerk in there to see what happens with some grease.
If I can quiet the noise and it doesn't show alot of play maybe I can get some more time out of it.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Whose`s the jerk who didnt install the zerk?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Beginning Member

Jerk installed the zerk. Jerk then broke the zerk.
No allen set screw as I thought. It is the remains of the grease nipple threads....
Ball joints this weekend.
Will I need a jack under the lower control arm to get the knuckle back up in place against the torsion bar pressure?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i dont think so, the torsion bar wants to pull up the lower control arm.
if anything i have only ever used the jack to support the lower arm to maneuver the arm.
i have found it easier to do them in pairs..upper and lower on same side....or at least separate the spindle from the upper in order to get lower on easier.
i drop the spindle below the lower then bolt it up and then push it up to the upper ball joint.
trying to do it with the upper still connected is a pain in the a$$.