Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

No check engine light at start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member
starfish is on a distinguished road

I took the cover off of my fp relay and it seems OK(not burned up).The problem started when my starter burned up.My FP is working but I dont have power at one of the wires at the connector.The FP hanger has the ground wire and the 2 wires on the plug should both be hot when you turn the key on, but only one wire is hot.I also replaced the ign. modual and still not getting spark or power to the FP.Could the ign. switch have went bad causing all these symtoms?

I took my distrib wire off my coil and hooked a test light to it and cranked the motor over and I got nothing.I do have power to the coil though.Would this mean that the coil is bad?I also replaced the ign. switch.

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-13-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Only one wire at the pump will have power. The other wire is the fuel level sending unit return.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Beginning Member

normally when you turn the key they should both be hot.the main power wire,and the fuel level sending unit giving power to the fuel gauge.since my starter burned up I'm only getting one hot wire when the key is turned on.I will retest today to see which wire is failing.

NEW ISSUE I went outside to recheck some wires and I noticed that my oil pressure gauge is stuck in the middle even with the key turned off.I thought I've heard somewear that if the oil pressure sending unit is bad that the fuel pump will not work.Is this true?I'm still not sure if my coil is working properly.How can I test it?

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-14-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starfish
NEW ISSUE I went outside to recheck some wires and I noticed that my oil pressure gauge is stuck in the middle even with the key turned off.I thought I've heard somewear that if the oil pressure sending unit is bad that the fuel pump will not work.Is this true?I'm still not sure if my coil is working properly.How can I test it?
There is a switch in the oil pressure sending unit that has to close to energize the pump for normal operation, but there also is a timed circuit that energizes the relay pulling +12V for starting.

You should also have a fuel pump prime connector somewhere near the fuel pump relay that you can use to supply power to the pump.

Attached Thumbnails No check engine light at start up-1987_k5_fuel_sch.gif  
Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the help!I found the red connector at the relay.I quess I need to put a jumper wire from my battery to this connector to get power to my pump for a test.but my main concern is that when I turn my key on,my CEL light is not lighting up.It lit up before my starter burned up.I also tried the jumper wire from a to b at the code checker connector,and I still cant get the light on.I'm wondering if my computer went bad on me when I fried the starter.Is there any other way to check if the computer went bad or should I just go get a new one?also when I put the test light on the distrib. wire connector on the coil and crank the motor over I'm not getting any juice.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

You've already replaced the ignition switch so that should be ok. The ECM does control all of those things...

Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member

Well I just went out and used the prime connector to test the pump and nothing happened.Then just for the hell of it I put some jumper cables from my cars battery to the fuel pump connector and I cant even get my fuel pump to turn on.So I guess Im gonna drop the tank and see what happened.Would a bad FP keep the CEL light from commin on?This **** is gettin crazy!!!

[]if I get the pump working correctly,and the truck still dont start,I guess I'm gonna try gettin a new computer.And I thought my car was a crazy project I finaly got that runnin perfect

Attached Thumbnails No check engine light at start up-imag0055.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-14-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator

A bad fuel pump should not impact the CEL or coil in any way. There is no feedback to the ECM. If you have bad ground(s), it could affect multiple components. Test continuity between the engine block and the frame/body perhaps.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member

sounds like that could be my problem!I'll definately check that in the morning!

Old 11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Beginning Member

well I got my fuel pump working!It ended up being a bad wire going to my Oil pressure switch.I got plenty of fuel squirting in my throttle body,but I'm not getting any spark.their is 2 plugs on my coil.When I turn the key on and tested each wire on both plugs they were all hot.But when I put the test light on the metal plug on the coil that goes to the distributor and cranked the motor over it would not light up.Would this mean that the coil is bad?My cel light still wont light up when I turn the key!I know it works,it lit up right before my 1st starter went bad.So far I replaced the ign. modual,ignition switch. I just came in from testing the coil.I tied a sparkplug to a wire that was grounded then I took a sparkplug wire and hooked it from the coil to the grounded plug and turned the key."WALA", my coil works.So it wont start up and I cant get my cel ligh to come on.It wont even come on when I put the jumper wire from A to B (were you check the codes).Is it safe to say that my computer is bad?

Last edited by starfish; 11-21-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: more testing

Quick Reply: No check engine light at start up