Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

No Crank No Start No Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 AM
auto383 is on a distinguished road
Default No Crank No Start No Power

Ok, so I went to pick my brothers K5 up yesterday and it started after turning over for a min... so i turning it off to add some gas...that was the last time it would run...now...i have no power inside to any of the gauges or fuses, i turn it over but nothing not even a click, after taking a test light to the starter i can see that the light comes on and off with the key, the starter is fairly new and workes good when taking it off...all wires are tight, battery is new and it has gas, it seems like and electrical issue but i have never not been able to get no power inside the cab, so i test the splitter on the firewall and it seems the wire going into the cab is creating a ground as soon as i turn the key??? also when i put the test light on the neg and touch the body it lights up as if it has power??? im thinking its something simple but i am putting to much into it...it just ran now nothing...can anyone help before i start taking things off that i dont need to??? thanks in advance

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is the voltage to the starter? A test light can illuminate with very little voltage.

Follow all of the main positive wires and test for power at all connections.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 AM

its proper voltage...i have jumped it and used stater box as well.. then after i though theres still no power i put a new battery in it....i get power and proper voltage...still dont know what is going on...

Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How about the second part of my question? Do you have power at the alternator? At the main buss bar located above the passenger side valve cover on the firewall? What voltage (#'s please) at each of these locations.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 AM

there is power to the alternator..i cant get to the truck untill 10am stuck at a friends smog shop...i will have to check readings...i do notice that there is a fuseable link from the wire coming off the alternator to the main buss... which is above the driver side valve cover, on the fire wall...it has wires from the starter and alternator attacked and one going into the cab is this what u mean? when i remove the wire coming from the cab to the buss it has power as soon as i re attach and then turn the key it grounds out....this also happens when i turn the headlights on or anything inside the cab..

Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 PM

ok...thanks for all your replies...so when i got to the trucks all the voltages where correct...so i changed the ignitions switch anyway...it was only 10 bucks...after taking it apart i needed it anyway..but that wasnt the problem still no power to anything...so i checked to make sure the ground was tight and it was.....i couldnt understand so i took a jumper cable and put it on the negative battery terminal and put the other end on the engine block....it started right up...so i pulled my ground wire and learned that after a truck sits for 2 months it can still get gunk and buildup between it enough to cause a poor connection...thanks again for all your help...next stop tire shop...pics to come