Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

no starter 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road
Default no starter 6.2

So,

cucv m1009 with the 6.2 j diesel from -85

I guess after some electrical problems, bad grounding and replacing of 1 fuse and the flasher module all the lights are show up when you turn the key. It cuts the power to the lights in the dash as it does when its about to start, but then there is nothing, its not cranking.

What would be the next to research? climb under the truck and check the starter engine ?

What cables under the steeringwheel are the iginition ones? Anything to help me be able to follow the ignition current to the end would help alot..

On this picture, what is the think up left corner... either its for the gloveplugs or for the starter ??

Chiltons handbook is useless....

Last edited by Jonas; 06-12-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road

well i am not that familar with the Diesels... but i will try to help in anyway i can.. the picture your referencing to looks to me like a starter solenoid.. "but i could be wrong not 100% sure on them diesels" as for the next step on diagnosing the problem i would crawl under the vehicle, and inspect the starter myself. and see if it has a solenoid like the pic you posted or not.. if not.. then i am would be pretty certain that the pic shown is a starter solenoid. but if the starter had a solenoid on it. then it would more then likely be for the glowplugs. as for wiring under the steering wheel, i am going to try and look through some of the books i have, and try to find the diagram for ya!

silly question, did the truck start before the electrical changes?? just something to think about .

will try to get that diag for ya!

Ck1500

Old 06-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Ck1500
well i am not that familar with the Diesels... but i will try to help in anyway i can.. the picture your referencing to looks to me like a starter solenoid.. "but i could be wrong not 100% sure on them diesels" as for the next step on diagnosing the problem i would crawl under the vehicle, and inspect the starter myself. and see if it has a solenoid like the pic you posted or not.. if not.. then i am would be pretty certain that the pic shown is a starter solenoid. but if the starter had a solenoid on it. then it would more then likely be for the glowplugs. as for wiring under the steering wheel, i am going to try and look through some of the books i have, and try to find the diagram for ya!

silly question, did the truck start before the electrical changes?? just something to think about .

will try to get that diag for ya!

Ck1500

Hi, super thanks man... i will check if its for the plugs or for the starter, i guess plugs are on 12V and starter on 24.

Yes, it started like a champ the day before and after that it doesnt even crank

Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Starting Member

Would it be a bad idea to start the engine from the startsolenoid manualy?

If i have understood it correctly it is just to send 12v to the soleniod directly from the battery with a cable?

Solenoid has i guess Ground, 1 small cable for 12v from ignition and a larger cable from the batterys with 24V.

Ruling out the starter would be if the egnine cranked here.. ive read about starter relays gone bad and so on and thats harder to research i guess..

So, tips on how to test it manually?

BR

Last edited by Jonas; 06-14-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Starting Member

i havent forgotten about ya, i have been diggin through all my books trying to find that diag!!!

it should be possible to jump out the solenoid... i have done this on other vehicles with a screwdriver..

to test relays, you can use a test light. or a multimeter.. to check power on the normally closed loop, and you will need to supply some power to the coil to close the normally open contacts...

hope this helps

Ck1500

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Starting Member

Hi,

Last night i was all over the truck with a volmeter

found that the relay on the picture above is infact a 2nd starter relay, and it wasnt getting any power when the jkey was turned.

I jumped the wire and it cranked.

I found a cut off wire inside, a big purple one coming from the fusebox where there was 12v when the key was in the starter position, i connected this to the relay and it worked just fine.

Only thing now is that all the lightbulbs in the dash are not lighting up, perhaps the big purple cable isnt for starting and doesnt shut off the dash hence the broken bulbs ?

Il be investigating why the original startercable didnt get any power and the bulbs in the dash tonight, thanks for your effor ck1500, really appreceate it.

Weiring diagrams from the steering column / fusebox would be awsome.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Starting Member

i went through 25 different manuals/books i have here at the house.. and i dont have anything for the diesel wiring diagrams sorry!!!!

im trying to find stuff online, but sometimes thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack lol

Ck1500

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Ck1500
i went through 25 different manuals/books i have here at the house.. and i dont have anything for the diesel wiring diagrams sorry!!!!

im trying to find stuff online, but sometimes thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack lol

Ck1500
Thanks alot for your help ck1500
This problem forced me to research the truck myself and game me greater knowledge of it so now i know how its working!!

Thanks for all help