Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

NP-208 fluid capacity

Old 12-25-2006, 10:50 PM
KennyJonson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NP-208 fluid capacity

I'm trying to find the fluid capacity of the transfer case in an NP-208. I've taken out the fluid and put in a new seal, and am now trying to replace the transmission fluid. The manual said 6 pints, but adding that didn't even bring the level up to the low mark.
Searched a lot of other forums and sites, and I've seen a lot of discussion on the Type of fluid, but not much about the amount. Can anyone assist in finding this information?

Old 12-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: NP-208 fluid capacity

The type of fluid should just be regular ATF. Your looking at somewhere around 4.5 quarts (9 pints) of fluid to fully fill an NP208 transfer case. I'd have 6 quarts of fluid on hand just to make sure you account for dripping or spilling. It happens to the best of us! LOL.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2006, 11:17 PM
KennyJonson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! It looks like the 6 pints recommended in the manual doesn't hardly fill up to the lower drain plug, so I'm just making sure I don't underfill it. Is there any amount that's too much, or is it OK to just fill forever until it won't fill anymore?

Old 12-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not completely familiar with the NP208, but have worked on many GM transfer cases typically on 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks... There typically is a drain plug and a fill plug. The level is supposed to come up to the bottom of the fill plug in most cases.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:25 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

What year transfer case?
The oil level in the NP208 should be filled to the bottom of the filler plug. I just fill it til it starts to run out, then wait til it stops running out and replace the filler plug.
From '67 to '80 they used 80w-90GL5 gear oil, from '81 to '87 they used Dextron ATF

Old 12-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Administrator

NP208 was available from '81-'87 and in some '88 model year pickups (IIRC)...

Old 12-26-2006, 06:02 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

'67 to '80 was probably the NP203...just going by an old Haynes manual

BTW Kyle, don't you ever sleep....lol

Old 12-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Yeah, the NP203 was the predecessor to the NP208.

LOL... Well, tonight I kind of got caught up out in the garage. Decided that there was no time like the present to replace the butyl caulk on the weather deflector on the passenger rear door in the Bonneville. I already replaced the front door deflector caulk and thought I had it all sealed up until I washed it last week... Water on top of the seal inside... Driver's rear door is the only one that hasn't leaked.

After that I kind of cleaned the garage before pulling in the Bravada. Got the bright idea to go through the 9005 low beam mod.

Finished up the laundry for my wife, yada, yada, yada... Here I am... Now I'm watching Batman Returns and posting up here. Don't know if its worth it to go to sleep now. My son will wake me up in about 2.5hrs anyway.

I have to go flush the coolant on my sister's car as well as try to help my brother track down a fuel leak on his car tomorrow (well... today...)